Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2009 Caterpillar 277c glow plugs not getting power

samhaley · 2020-06-13 13:12

Hey y'all I recently purchased an 09 cat 277c but it has some starting problems. I insert the key and switch it to the on position wait until the unit beeps and then try to turn it over but nothing. It does crank but doesn't actually run. I tried spraying a bit of starting fluid on the air filter and voila it started right up but smokes a bit from the exhaust. Since I am no diesel mechanic I read a bit online and suspected the glow plugs. I placed my multimeter on the metal bar that connects all 4 and ground, turned the key and there is no voltage. I followed the wire and it connects to a relay within the engine bay. I removed it and there is 12 volts across the solenoid terminals and I do get a signal when the key is switched a cross the switch terminals. You would think it was the relay but I tested the relay not only does it "click" but I fully tested it with a power supply and it seems operational when power is applied at the switching terminals the relay closes/opens accordingly so I plugged it back in and moved on to the operator cabin where the fuse box is located and found another glow plug relay and fuse. I swapped the relay with a known good one and the fuse was good but theres still no power at the plugs.. I am hardly familiar with the machine and don't have anything more than the manual. Is there something I could be overlooking?

Replies5
  1. #1heymccall2020-06-13 15:28

    Huh? My cat skidsteer will start without preheating all the way down to 30°F or so. Below 30°, she just coughs a bit, unless preheated. How many hours on machine? Spraying ether (starting fluid) is just asking for trouble, especially if the glow plugs begin working. How does a hot start react?

  2. #2samhaley2020-06-13 21:35

    Everything you say makes sense, even though I still dont have power at my plugs I have shifted my attention to faulty fuel injection. I have been researching and i am experiencing problems that are aligned with fuel injection. issues The machine makes a lot of white/blueish smoke at high RPM and its hard to start without ether. I think the timing is off because it has 2500 hours and everything looks well taken care of. Currently researching on what the proper procedure is to align the fuel pump to the correct timing

  3. #3BigWrench552020-06-14 00:33

    These engines don't typically jump time, so I doubt that the fuel injection pump is out of time. It sounds like your injectors are failing. That engine is likely a high pressure common rail fuel system. So be careful when loosing any lines. I'm not familiar with this machine so I can be wrong. Post a serial number and someone else can correct my statement if I am wrong. Year model means nothing in the equipment world. As for the glow plugs I wouldn't worry about them. They are computer controlled and will come on when the ambient temperature is low enough.

  4. #4John C.2020-06-14 10:51

    I used to have problems with starting those machines in the used equipment yard at the local Cat dealer. Cat took out the manual button to operate the glow plugs and went to a computer controlled timer to actuate the plugs for so many seconds before you were supposed to turn the key to the start position. It made nearly every skid steer in the yard a hard start. There was an update to the timer set up but I don't have any information on what it was. At any rate those engines needed the glow plugs to start even with the ambient temperature above 60 degrees F. If I owned one of those machines, I would install a button to shift the relay and not rely on the timer.

  5. #592U 34062020-06-14 11:50

    I think (not 100% sure) that most C models were mechanical engines with a rotary fuel pump.