Hi as the title states I'm just starting to have my backhoe,it has 7100 hrs and auto trans ,it doesn't want to push like it used to, to me it feels like it's not going back in gears correctly or the torque converter isn't working correctly, if I stop at a set of lights while reading and then go again it feels very slow to move away but once moving it seems fine, it is moving through the gears correctly and seems to have the same top speed in each gear, when I lock it in first it sometimes won't even spin the wheels up against I a pike of fill, but then sometimes it seems fine. ??? Any help would be appreciated... Cheers Justin
This may be a obvious response but.... Is the transmission oil at the proper level? When was the last time you changed fluid and filters?
Yes it is, I changed the oil at 7014hrs, I've always done oil/filter and screen at 1000 hr intervals, all SOS tests are fine.
Jpm1, I have a CAT 434E 2012 with 1300 hours and auto shift (after 34 years of JCB), I can agree with you they do take some winding up on the road. When I took delivery of the CAT I was disappointed with the performance loading with the front bucket, so much so I complained and the CAT demonstration driver was sent out to check out the machine, which he said was fine. My trade in machine was a 2010 JCB 4CX which in 2 years of use in some arduous conditions only required the use of first gear a hand full of times, so I was alarmed that the CAT in first gear would not fill the bucket like the JCB did. As time has passed I have come to like the CAT (memory of the 4CX faded I guess), any way a new CAT 444F is on its way to me. The CAT backend is a dream to use. So maybe it depends what you have been operating before. Good luck, Ex tractor fan
Thanks for the reply but the machine does have an issue as I've owned and drove it since new, ive had cat out and they think it may be a sticky solenoid on the 2nd gear clutch, they have taken oil samples and we will see what happens. On another note I've had 5 cat backhoes and found them all to push/load quite well, what I'm not happy about is there lack of resale value in Australia at the moment, they used to be good but because of a large amount of imported machines it has dropped there resale by 35-50%, which is bad. I recently went and drove the new 3cx eco and found it ok but found it underpowered in the front and lack of push, not lack of pushing power but the lack go grip which I put down to its lighter weight.
Jpm1,good luck with your solenoid probs, our 3CX/4CX were certainly not lacking as regards pushing power or grip but they were on Michelin radial tyres which were excelent, not the JCB branded garbage. The Michelins on the rear of our 2010 3CX were only half worn after 2600 hours. Ex tractor fan.