I pulled the ring gear out of the old 580B this evening and all but 11 of the teeth are broken on the outside edge, with one tooth completely missing. I am guessing that the pattern is off? All have the same break pattern, and some look like they have been broken for years now. Strangely, the pinion looks beautiful! It is smooth, no sharp edges, it looks like new. Any ideas on what might be causing this? My Dad fixed this thing about 500 hours ago and I am thinking he never set the backlash or pattern correctly when he did it. After talking to him, he just put it back together the way it came out. I am thinking I am correct on why the failure occurred. Below is a picture of the ring gear on the kitchen counter. The wife should be pleased!
Yair . . . wi4x4man I would say that's a little more than pattern . . . a bad bearing somewhere maybe? To me, it's surprising the pinion is okay, are all the chips in the bottom of the housing? O/T slightly but there is a thread on here about industry jargon. In your parts what do you call the gear around the flywheel? To me that is a "ring gear" and your damaged component is a "bevel gear". Just curious. Cheers
Yep, all of the chips are right below in the housing. In terms of bearings, all are in great shape, no housing cracks, all carriers are good, cups are good and etc. And in terms of gear nomenclature, a ring gear is any gear that if by itself would be a ring. The gear around the flywheel certainly is a ring gear because if by itself, it would be a ring. This gear is riveted onto the hub, and if the gear were to be removed, it would be a ring. But regardless of that, if you look up differentials, this gear is considered to be a ring gear. Even the repair manual for the machine calls it a ring gear.
Scrubb Puller; Here in the US, ring gear is commonly used to describe both a flywheel and differential gear.
Thats funny ,Crown and Pinion come to mind were I am from and the flywheel gear we as well call it a ring gear