Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2011 Cat 259B3 Skidsteer won’t start

carbor ยท 2025-08-05 13:06

I have a 2011 259B3 with almost 6,000 hours. I got the machine about one month ago. It worked and ran good for about 5 hours. The first day of trouble, the machine ran for about 40 minutes, then it quit. I tried starting it but after about 5-7 tries, I stopped trying. about 4 ours later I tried again, it started and ran for about 30 then it quit again. Next day it started, ran for about 30 minutes, then it quit again. But this time it will not start at all. It did not seem to be running hot, the motor oil, the hydraulic oil, and the coolant mix are at normal levels. Any suggestions where to look first?

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2025-08-05 13:18

    First suggestion would be to post a machine Serial Number. That gets accurate technical information. I'm assuming YYZ-something. Have you tried the drain valve at the bottom of the water separator to check for the presence of water in the fuel.?

  2. #2carbor2025-08-05 15:23

    Here is the Serial for that machine: CAT0259BJYYZ01718. I will do the drain valve check. Is that a common thing that happens in these skidsteers? I would think the presence of water in the fuel would result in the engine running rough, not just quitting, but it can be. Will keep posting. Thanks.

  3. #3Nige2025-08-05 16:03

    It's part of the daily prestart checks.......... An unfortunate fact of life is that this type of machine often gets filled with fuel from dirty containers. Nobody ever thinks to clean the fuel tank so all the dirt/water gets sucked up into the more epxensive parts of the fuel system. While you are at it, test the operation of the electric fuel priming pump. Momentarily turn the engine start switch from the ON position to the START position and then return it quickly to the ON position. Don't leave it in the START position long enough for the engine to try to fire up. This will only start the fuel priming pump. Listen for the sound of it running. If you haven't had this machine long then I would recommend you get hold of an Operation & Maintenance Manual ASAP. The Cat Publication reference is SEBU8495. Here's a genuine new one for sale on eBay