Hi there, I just got a new to me 824k SN# 1DW824KXLB0636188 and as I was going through checking u joints I noticed there was about 1/8" of play in the parking brake input shaft. Is that amount of play normal? It doesn't appear to be leaking but perhaps the fluid is all out of it as I never got the chance to check.
No, that's not normal. The parking brake only holds 20 ounces of oil and a leak on it probably won't be noticed until it's to late. I don't usually recommend reman components without checking repair options but I do on this. The last time I checked a reman parking brake was priced for about what repairing it would be and you avoid liability / safety issues if it's repaired and fails.
Thanks ohdeereme. I will talk to the dealer today to see what the options are. This is probably not a unexpected issue considering the hours on the machine (20,000) and the likelihood that it was not properly maintained.