Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2012 2954D Log loader surging when walking or heavy load on engine

Hallback ยท 2015-07-08 18:00

Put injectors, lift pump, FPR valve in 550hrs ago, fuel filters new today,ect. It will surge when walking it or putting a load on the engine. When the selector is in HP mode it does it when walking but not when it is not in HP mode. I had Pape out a few weeks ago as it was doing that and we found a pinched fuel line and bad plugged filters so when it started doing it again today I put new filters on but it is still doing it. Any ideas?

Replies37
  1. #1Hallback2015-07-09 08:44

    Now it wont start this morning. Showing code 157 17. I have primed it, tried the gas rag over the air filter (which made it run at about 220rpm until gas was gone) and replaced the fuel filters again. I am at wits end.

  2. #2Mike L2015-07-09 08:49

    Were the filters still full of fuel? I'm wondering if your sucking air somewhere

  3. #3Hallback2015-07-09 09:14

    Yes, still full. Pulled feel to injection pump from primer pump and it didn't run out as you think it would. More of a trickle. Primer pump takes a pump or two before it goes soft like it has pressure.

  4. #4Mike L2015-07-09 09:39

    Does that machine have the screen in the tank ? Maybe have a restriction there

  5. #5Hallback2015-07-09 09:51

    Not sure if it does or not.

  6. #6Mike L2015-07-09 10:33

    I would check that. Had a Jd dozer with similar symptoms. Had a dead bird in the tank and plugged up the screen like this

  7. #7dixon7002015-07-09 13:19

    How in the world did a dead bird get in the fuel tank?

  8. #8Mike L2015-07-09 13:53

    My guess is that somebody left the fuel cap off the tank and he flew in to make a nest. We ended up cutting out the side of the tank to clean it out. Not fun.

  9. #9Hallback2015-07-09 14:17

    Fuel pressure sensor is getting swapped now.

  10. #10Mike L2015-07-09 19:20

    Did it work?

  11. #11Hallback2015-07-09 21:41

    Not sure, got a call from another side & had to run parts. Will know in the morning.

  12. #12csquared2015-07-10 00:16

    can you blow air back into the tank?

  13. #13cutting edge2015-07-10 00:35

    So you have a supply side issue. Some things Ive seen on the d series are loose/pinched hoses at the tank,off brand filters leaking air into the system and clogged breather caps.

  14. #14Hallback2015-07-10 10:31

    I have deere filters and I suspected air in the system also. What is the best way to bleed it out on these?

  15. #15Drifter2015-07-10 21:00

    Check to make sure there is a o-ring between the fuel filter and water separator bowl. Will not leak but runs bad. Pull line from tank to first fuel filter and see if you have fuel running out from the tank.

  16. #16csquared2015-07-11 00:24

    i was waiting for u to chime in cookie

  17. #17Hallback2015-07-11 07:23

    Ok, so I got it to start with the new rail pressure sensor but it lesks badly from there now. I had to get a set of crows foot wrenches overnighted to get it tighter. Will report back this afternoon. Thank you all for your help and time!

  18. #18Hallback2015-07-13 08:56

    I got the sensor sealed and was able to start it with a shot of ether. It smoked for about 5 minutes as I was running it and was down on power. When I shut it off & tried to start it again I got the same no fire/knocking/white smoke that it did when trying to start it friday.

  19. #19Hallback2015-07-13 08:58

    You are referencing the breather caps on the filter heads?

  20. #20cutting edge2015-07-13 11:10

    fuel tank what is the fpr valve? rail relief? You could have a bad SCV on the fuel pump. pull the brown connector at the front of the high pressure pump and see if it starts. Dont let it run like this though,just try to start it.

  21. #21cutting edge2015-07-13 11:13

    would expect different codes though

  22. #22Hallback2015-07-13 12:39

    Pape is on their way now, I will report back.

  23. #23Hallback2015-07-13 18:48

    Replaced SCV today and nothing. 4 injectors going in tomorrow.

  24. #24cutting edge2015-07-13 19:58

    injectors? why? excess leak off? didnt you do injectors 500 hours ago?

  25. #25Hallback2015-07-13 20:16

    I did but not all of them. When running tests that is what we came up with based on the fuel use percentages and the cylinder canceling tests. I hope that is it.

  26. #26dixon7002015-07-14 02:44

    What is an scv?

  27. #27Hallback2015-07-14 06:33

    $591! Lol It is a Suction Control Valve. It is located on top of the fuel rail.

  28. #28Hallback2015-07-14 09:37

    And everything was in the drop box this morning BUT the injectors. What's another day of downtime right...??? ointhead

  29. #29cutting edge2015-07-14 11:37

    good greif....thats the rail relief, not the scv scv is on the front of the high pressure pump

  30. #30dixon7002015-07-14 12:17

    Rail pressure relief valve now I'm familiar with that. I'm pretty familiar with Cummins common rail setup and I don't believe there is any suction control valve. Unless that's what the cascade valve is?

  31. #31Hallback2015-07-14 12:23

    And that is why I run them and not wrench on them.

  32. #32kiwi450x2015-07-15 04:14

    Haha, I know the feeling, Hallback...

  33. #33cutting edge2015-07-15 10:23

    So lets cover a few things -when the tech is there,with his laptop plugged into the machine, what is actual vs desired rail pressure? -have him do a harness diagnostic test. what are the results? -It wont start,will it? If not, unplug that brown connector on the front of the high pressure fuel pump (as I suggested before) ansd try to start the engine....do not let it run this way though. if it starts,shut it down . If it starts, your scv is the problem it is on the front of the pump....you just unplugged it....not on top of the rail. -will it start with the rail sensor unplugged?

  34. #34Hallback2015-07-15 13:43

    She purrs like a kitty now. 4 injectors and about $7k later.

  35. #35cutting edge2015-07-15 15:01

    Theres no way you dropped 4 injectors at once...I wonder what the root cause is.

  36. #36Hallback2015-07-15 15:25

    #3 was bad and #2 & 6 were weak. I replaced them all now so as to not have to go back in there again for a few thousand hours.

  37. #37dixon7002015-07-16 11:04

    I always like to replace injectors in sets.