Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installing a Waratah 624 Super on a 2012 2954D?

Hallback ยท 2015-07-11 08:19

I am looking at a low hour Waratah 624 Super to install on my 2954D shovel logger. What all will it take to get up & running? What changes will need to be made when I want to pin the grapples back on to log with? Head comes with all hoses, filter box, controls, computer, ect. It has Danfos controls now, can I change to Suregrip & what would it cost to do so? Thanks!

Replies15
  1. #1hoechucker2015-07-11 18:31

    You can change the grips but instead of sure grips you should check with axisforestry.com they have ton stuff for warratah for way cheaper than going through Deere or warratah themselves

  2. #2Hallback2015-07-14 21:12

    Anyone know the going rate for an install?

  3. #3John C.2015-07-14 23:21

    Last time I did one it ran about $10,000 but that didn't include the filter setup they require now. That was ten years ago. I would guess it has gone up a few touches since.

  4. #4cutting edge2015-07-15 10:35

    There is a bunch of stuff to change on the machine as well..I would recommend against it personally. the 624 is a little big for your machine anyways..furthermore, if your machine is loader boom/stick configuration, you will hate life trying to process with it.

  5. #5Hallback2015-07-15 13:47

    I have run both configurations and personally hate the lowrider excavator style processor setups. I know the 623 is ideal for this carrier but for 1/7th the cost I think I can live with a 7000hr 624 as it will be switched back and forth with grapples.

  6. #6JGibson2015-07-15 14:14

    The boom/stick style depends on the kind of wood. Small large volume wood, the excavator style has more benefits. Larger pac/west wood, the log loader style has its advantages. Really depends on what your doing.

  7. #7theironoracle2015-07-19 00:47

    Last I heard from a customer, new Waratah on a new machine is $30,000 for just the labor.....TIO

  8. #8John C.2015-07-19 11:07

    Which dealer did that come from?

  9. #9theironoracle2015-07-19 13:01

    The last one is triad, new 290 new 623? ( this machine is not been delivered yet), 3 years ago triad used 290 new 623super $28k, 3 years ago used 290 new GP at Pierce &24k, 5 years ago Feenaughty used 2554 new 623 super $24k, cascade trader 3 years ago new 300 used 622? $25k. These are three different customers and I never saw the invoices and it may include a machine install kit or something that doesn't come with the head but I don't know for sure... Sounds like the going rate + or -......TIO

  10. #10theironoracle2015-07-19 13:03

    Hall back, my customer loves his GP on his 290! Maybe consider that? He uses it I think exclusively, no more grapple, shovels, processes and loads, location= east side central Oregon coast range...TIO

  11. #11John C.2015-07-19 21:02

    theironoracle, Sounds like figures the could be relied on to me. Thanks

  12. #12Hallback2015-07-19 23:29

    I was quoted 12k by Pape Kelso & $15k by a popular independent. I am getting the head used for a fraction of the cost of new is why I am going with the 624.

  13. #13theironoracle2015-07-20 00:33

    Hmmmm, I wonder what my customers are actually telling me? Wouldn't be the first time they misinterpreted an invoice they were telling me about....TIO

  14. #14kiwi450x2015-07-20 06:33

    Iron Oracle. We put a Woodsman head on a 336 earlier this year, and your numbers aren't a mile away from what I was charged... Allowing for exchange rate difference and so on, obviously.

  15. #15Plebeian2015-08-29 21:39

    How did this work out? JD 2954D with 624super? http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/70806866/logging-innovations-attract-overseas-attention Alway compromise if using felling heads to load with etc, were there no other used processing heads around?