Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2012 case 580N parking brake will not release

drmotoauto ยท 2024-10-22 13:59

Replaced switch, checked solenoid for power. With ignition on, unplugging and plugging parking brake solenoid, it's clicking. I shake machine with bucket and it will release, but then hit a bump and it comes back on. I pulled cluster and covers wiggled wires, checked for chaffing, nothing visual. Switch, solenoid, and engagement sensor all seem ok. Is there any other system that will stop brake from disengagement?

Replies6
  1. #1Glandry2026-01-18 11:03

    Wish there was an answer, I have same problem

  2. #2Kyle Helmke2026-01-18 20:48

    I would start by isolating the electrical from hydraulic side. try providing dedicated power and ground to the solenoid. if you still have the same symptoms I would monitor charge and applied pressure while operating, if applied pressure drops i would pressure test each side.

  3. #3DustAndRay2026-01-18 22:36

    On those N series, the first thing I'd probably check is the simple stuff. When you flip the parking brake switch, can you hear a "click" from the solenoid? If it's silent, it could be a bad fuse, the switch itself, or the solenoid. If you do hear a click but it still won't release, it might be a hydraulic issue, but I'd definitely check the electrical side first. Hope you get it figured out!

  4. #4Willie B2026-01-19 06:58

    Me too. I've got some research to do. I believe power is sent to the brake actuator to unlock the brake. Mine did it yesterday for the first time. I backed out of the shed, lifted the hoe into transport mode. When I tried to move, nothing happened. I think the brake electrically stops the drivetrain also. I raised the rear wheels, wiggled fuses, tried each gear & suddenly noticed rear wheels spinning. I used it to plow snow in the whole neighborhood without a repeat.

  5. #5Kyle Helmke2026-01-20 17:43

    check your seat switch as well if it's triggering it may be setting the brake

  6. #6Simon C2026-01-20 19:18

    I worked quite a bit on a M series that had lots of relays that when I test the receiving pins one at a time some were fairly loose. I carefully tightened them all up, as these 5 pin relays can have one loose pin going into the receiving plug and subsequent problems. Just something that is not found in manuals but happens from vibration and age of unit. Simon C