We are having problems with our D6K fuel system. Throwing code but no problems show up on computer. Losing power. Appears to be problem with the high efficiency fuel filters. When those are replaced all is well for a while then problem reappears. As near as we can tell it is a problem with the fuel. There is a black film inside the tank. One mechanic says it is a fungus in the tank. Has anyone experienced this problem? Mechanic says take tank off and steam it out. Will this work or will problem just return? Need proven solution.
Most truck tanks I have looked inside appear to be as clean as the day they rolled off the factory floor. Since they are so easy to shine a light into. If you clean the inside of the tank, you will have removed 99% of the possible contamination. If it is not somehow reintroduced, by way of water or more bad fuel, one more filter change should take care of it, in my opinion. The question is how did it get there in the first place. Is the top of the tank leaking somehow?
Not fungus, algae. Grows naturally in old diesel fuel. Most good fuel suppliers put algaecide in their fuel but it only lasts a few months to a year(s) depending on how stored. Once it starts you have to get 99.9% of it out of the tank or will repeat.
I bought a 973C a few years back that had the algae in the tank. Looked like there was hair in the fuel strainer. Slimy weird stuff. I treated the tank with the algaecide, and cleaned the stainless strainer along with a few filter changes. That fixed mine.
Looks like best solution is clean out tank and put in some algaecide. Think it came from some old fuel from fuel tank we have not used in a while. Only seems to be affecting one machine. Going to treat all of them. Going to steam clean out tank. Thanks for the help.
Have you
[QUOTE="Rob Marshall, post: 797138, member: 7674 I have the same issue.have you cured your problem?
Try cutting open one of your old fuel filters. Is it full of what feels like slime..? If the answer is yes you have an algae problem.
Nasty when it arrives, hard to correct and takes effort with tank cleanings, filter and lines flushes, just NASTY!
Not sure why it seems to affect one machine and not others, could be due to the venting or some other design difference in the one machine. About the only place we had the problem was a tow-behind air compressor. I sure the problem with that one is the fact it was not used very much and would sit unused for weeks or months at a time! If steaming the tank out I would try to come up with some way to dry it out after, maybe use a heat gun stuck down the filer pipe for a day? Then dose it at the maximum amount of the algecide for a few tankfuls of fuel and change filters often.
I have seen it as a brown slime on top of fuel and as chunks and particles inside fuel filter. It’s one of the first things I check if a machine is having fuel issues. I pull the filters and dump out and cut open the old ones to see what I find and then look into the tank. Typically see it in fuel that sits around a while. Frequent use machines with fresh fuel supply typically don’t see this issue.
Thinking about it cleaning the tank is only one step (and probably the first) to take, but when there is a fuel return line pumping excess fuel back from the engine to the tank, dosing the system with algicide appears to be the only definite solution otherwise the algae will just propagate back to the tank mixed with the retuning fuel from the engine and the fuel linesl.
We tested for algea . It came back negative. We still treated the tank for it to be save . Now we are thinking it might be the fuel separating due to the return coming back so hot. I believe they call this asphalting?
Throwing code, yet no code # or real description? D6K, but, no serial # prefix even? What about screen in supply port?
Throws low fuel rail pressure code. Don’t see any screen . Tank has blackish coating in it and I tested for algea came back negative . To be sure still shocked the tank and didn’t change anything.
I see the screen on the sheet you sent is that screen the one where you fill it?
Nope, it's one of the fittings on the 277-5191 fuel pump. The pump is #17 on the illustration below. Unfortunately when you go to the list of parts available for the pump there is no illustration. Hopefully HMC can point out for you exactly which one it is.
Sorry, should have read HMC's post more carefully. The fitting on the inlet side of the fuel pump where the fuel line enters the pump from the tank has a 2720610 screen inside it.
Cat says there is no screen ?
Still haven't seen a serial number.
Yes, I’ll get number
Serial number dva01809
Are you sure of that number SIS says no such machine, they do show a D6K with the prefix DHA.
Your right on that typeo. Doha is correct
Dha!!! Guess I can’t get that right on here. Thanks
If the only code is low rail pressure, could it be the high pressure relief valve leaking? Using ET is the only way I know to test it. Before shotgunning any parts, and blaming fuel quality/ filters, I'd like see the supply pump pressure. On an excavator, I can see that in the monitor. How many hours on the machine? As for the screen mentioned earlier,
3043hrs
Any ways to test the relief valve?
It won't be the first time a Cat dealer has been proved wrong by the people on this forum.......... As above. Post a Serial Number, then we will be able to find defintive infrmation.
Serial number serial number dha01809
Thinking about it again, you have this fuel filter. I have had the "other" guy here install two seals from bowl to base, and, the petcock thumb wheel must go in until contact. Both resulted in air suck, but no fuel loss. If the drain doesn't turn easily, or won't go to flush, replace the bowl assy, or, at least the drain plug. I used to do just the drain, but, I carry the bowls on the truck now.
I replaced the complete lower side of water separate,gaskets plastic bowl and valve. Also replaced fuel cap and rubber lines running from primary fuel filter to secondary.
Guess what..? Same fuel pump and same screen Part Number in the inlet fuel fitting of the pump as per my post #17 on Page 1.......
I agree, Nige, but, I just did an injection pump on an 8k hr C4.4 (same system, just missing 2 cylinders), and I can't recall if there was a screen in there. If there was, and I'm 60-70% sure there was, it was the style that inserts into the inside of a banjo bolt.
Where will I find this screen? i will be back at the machine tomorrow I will take a look around the fuel pump. Our 318 had one of them screens in the banjo bolt like you described. Thank you guys for your time.
Let’s put it this way, there SHOULD be a screen inside the banjo bolt on the inlet side of the fuel pump.
Well, there is no screen on the inlet to pump line. Cleaned tank and put additives on for diesel fuel asphalting. Just need some good weather to test.
Not sure what this means but this is what NPR says when I punch in the 2720610 part number: What in "CAT Speak" does "set up in error" mean?
It’s saying that they didn’t end up putting it on this model.
It means that somewhere along the line a Service Part No for 272-0610 Screen was put into column 3 in error. Unfortunately, a bit like making a duplicate post in this forum and once send is pressed, data that has been entered in Column 3 can't be completely removed, hence the "set up in error" text. The "Where Used" column indicates the Group Number in which the part is found. Any machine model where that particular Group is used will consist of the same individual parts. I'm as interested as anyone to find out exactly what the problem is with this tractor.
We solved our problem by getting the correct fuel filter. Cat dealer had been selling us a ultra heavy duty fuel filter that was for the newer D6K2. We went with the Cat filter called for and have not had anymore problems. If you need it I will get you the part number of the filters we are using.
Out of curiosity and ignorance on my part,what's the difference between all these different Cat filters such as ultra high efficiency?
A lot of the new generation of engines with high-precision fuel injection systems require 2-micron fuel filters, aka ultra-high-efficiency. Back to the subject of the OP. There are two different arrangements of secondary fuel filter, each option uses two fuel filters. Type 1 the first option uses a 308-1502 and a 1R-0751 element (Advanced Efficiency) Type 2 the second option uses a 319-0844 and a 309-9199 element (Ultra High Efficiency) and is for machines built after January 2014. Tractor DHA01809 (built 2011) requires Type 1 filters, which jibes with PWR's post above about changing away from UHE filters to the Advanced Efficiency filter that is called out for that tractor. I'll be honest and say I haven't come across the issue of a finer filter than what was specified causing problems on a machine.
I wonder how fuel supply pressures varied over the two series of tractor? Is it possible the delivery pressure was higher after 2014, or at least volume?
Didn't dig that deep TBH ........
Our D6K is a 2012 model.
Not it's not - it was built on the 22nd of September 2011. That makes it a 2011 machine, there is no such thing as "model years" with Cat machines. Check the snip in Post #44 above, it shows the build date. It may have been first sold new by a dealer in 2012 but unfortunately that doesn't make it a 2012 machine.