Good afternoon I have a John Deere 310J backhoe SN 1T0310JXTCD217062 that runs good for a couple of hours then starts losing power and eventually turns off. Once it turns off it seems that the tractor ran out of fuel and we prime the system. It turns on but turns right off and it keeps doing that over and over. We have changed out the fuel filters thinking they could have been dirty and the problem continued. We the. Change the fuel pump that is located by the hydraulic tank and it started right up but after a couple of hours it does the same thing. I am to the point that I want to remove the fuel tank to see if maybe the screen is dirty but before that I wanted to see if anyone had any input? Thank you in advance
They used to use a vent in the fuel cap to let air in as the fuel got used pull the cap right after it dies and see if it has suction on the cap
Will it run with fuel tank cap removed ? If the tank has a vacuum in it you will hear and feel air rush into it when the cap is loosened and removed. Do you drain the crap out of the fuel tank when you change fuel filters ? Hopefully it isn't a dirty strainer in the tank.
I have changed the filters. I am going to run it tomorrow and try what you all have recommended. I was wondering if it could be the strainer. The tractor has almost 4K hours. We will see what it does. I will keep you all posted. Thanks
The amount of fuel flowing from the tank will indicate if the strainer is plugged. Remove the fuel line from the inlet of the fuel transfer pump and see how much fuel runs out of the line. If there is a good flow there when the engine has died, check the output of the t-pump. Either with the hand primer on the pump or roll the engine over.
2012.?? Does this machine have a Stanadyne mechanical injection pump on it.?? Or is it a hi pressure system.??
I believe it's an ECM controlled (on/off) mechanical pump.
Oh, a DE-10 pump..