Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2012 John Deere 310K Brakes – spongy

KP&R ยท 2023-08-21 17:33

Hi Folks- Thought I would throw out this question to the group. I have a 2012 310K with 3600 hours. When first applying the brake pedal, pedal movement sinks almost to the floor before the brakes catch. Once pumped, the pedal firms up and feels normal. Turning brakes work and mechanically, the brakes feel fine. Same symptom occurs after not using the brakes for a spell. Not a real issue, but very annoying. I looked through the manual and read the brake line bleeding procedure. Looking for comments from this group before going to the bleed procedure. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1HarleyHappy2023-08-22 09:41

    Getting air in there somewhere.

  2. #2Steve Austin2023-08-22 17:23

    Let's perform some simple checks on your 310K. Did the problem happen suddenly or has it existed for some time. First latch both brake pedals together press pedals do they sink or stay firm. Unlatch brake pedals pump right pedal till firm hold for 30 seconds note any drift. Repeat same test for left pedal. Check differential oil level note if overfull and condition of oil dark or black color and if oil feels gritty. I have had these same symptoms when i worked for Deere a problem in the brake valve or the brake piston in the differential. The equalizer valve in the brake and worn seals on the brake pistons. Please post your results and i will post you some tests to isolate the brake valve or piston seals.

  3. #3KP&R2023-08-23 08:20

    Thanks, Steve for the checklist. I will go through these over the weekend and let you know. Very much appreciated.