Looking to possibly purchase a used Volvo DD 118 HFA asphalt roller. I've never owned a Volvo roller, just wondering if they are good machines or if they have a lot of problems and I should stay away. Other possibilities are Cat and Dynapac. Thanks for any input.
Depends on where you live. Where I'm at I can buy a dynapac from the factory but get no dealer support. In general the machine is built on the old IR roller concept and they're general not bad machines. Volvos in general I've had problems with hydraulic hoses for two reasons the first being the crimps from the factory tend to be poorly done, the second being the hoses are usually metric and harder to find some of the strange angles and fittings locally at the local NAPA store but this tends to be the way things are going with all newer equipment. Watch the rubber isolation blocks on the drum as they will inevitably break down then start transferring vibration to the rest of the machine and break fun and interesting stuff. Good luck with the new roller.