Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2013 Genie 1056 Telehandler – Rpm issue

Tb's · 2024-10-15 15:04

Hi guys, was loading this Genie onto the float this morning, as it was getting up the ramp on an angle, the throttle stopped working and wouldn’t leave idle even when the accelerator was pressed. Turned the machine on and off and it worked again as normal to get the machine down to flat ground. Get on the angle and it happened again. We gave it a running start up the ramp and managed to load it. Now on site today, a couple of times the same thing happened while moving around on flat ground. Can only be corrected by turning off and on the machine. It threw this code the first time, I’m having trouble finding it as it’s not the common format for codes. (PV101 #43) Any help would be appreciated. View attachment IMG_3535.jpeg

Replies6
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2024-10-16 23:57

    I think you need to go through the menu on the Powerview 101 controller to find the actual SPN/FMI codes. I have one of those PV101s for pulling engine codes on some engines, but it's been a while since I've used it. I think your picture might be showing the number of active/saved faults for the PV and the engine, not the codes themselves.

  2. #2Tb's2024-10-24 17:55

    Hi. I did go through the codes. Found a bad pedal code, changed the pedal and the harness attached to it, but the issue remains. What other electrical aspects could be attached to this? The rpm needle on the tach almost seems jumpy, maybe related?

  3. #3Tb's2024-10-24 20:29

    I found this thread here with a very similar issue aside from this machine having a Perkins engine. HeavyEquipmentForums Has anyone had to recalibrate ECU to pedal sensor after a new pedal install?

  4. #4willie592024-10-24 21:13

    Worst thing about the Genie 1056 is the engine is a PITA. Sure, you can fling open those tiny side doors and look at the engine, but that's about it. Remove the panel under the boom and you're staring at the muffler, horrible design. Can't say that it's the same problem with yours, but we have a 1056 with the electronic Deere that ran perfect, then all of a sudden it would misfire, lose throttle response, even die. You'd turn it off and back on, might still run crappy, but then it might run perfect again. I'm no electronic diesel tech so the boss called his rental store buddies to send out their road techs, basically threw parts at it, sensor here, connector there, each time it would run good, until they left. Went to the boss, dammit, it's an old machine, let me replace the harness! He finally agreed. I replaced the main engine harness and the injection harness, it hasn't had an issue since and that was several years ago. Those engine vibrate, and that can do damage to wires and connectors, especially with an aged machine, and there's no codes for "you need to replace your harness". I hope you find your gremlin, but that's what it took to fix the 1056 that we have. And I'd gladly trade that engine with a 4045T that uses a throttle cable any day.

  5. #5Tb's2024-11-04 13:12

    FIX UPDATE: We followed the harnesses/connectors from the pedal all the way back to the ECU and found a portion of the main harness that had worn through with a few exposed wires. The harness was rubbing on a portion of the frame, just in front of the engine, enough to expose bare metal. Occasionally, the exposed wire would touch this and ground out, throwing error for bad accelerator pedal. Repaired the few wires as needed.

  6. #6willie592024-11-04 20:12

    That's all it takes. Make sure that harness is secure at the engine, those engines vibrate and will play hell on the wires if they're left moving around.