I have a 2013 Bobcat T590 skidsteer (A3NR13192) a manual controls base model machine with the Kubota Diesel engine. It has started throwing random codes that have become more consistent. Currently it is showing M1806 and M5406 (Spool 1 and 2 short to ground). Both lock solenoids measure around 17 ohm. I can't measure any continuity between the solenoid connectors and ground. The lift, tilt spools and the hydraulic solenoid are locked however the parking brake can be released to run the tracks. The seat bar light is also continuously illuminated. After the spool lock issues the fuel shutoff randomly stopped working with the key and I have to disconnect the three wire plug at the pump to shut off the machine. Even though the instrument panel shuts off with the key, the hold wire at the pump solenoid consistently puts out 12v. I understand that both the lock solenoids and the fuel shutoff solenoid are powered directly by the gateway controller, not through any relays. Anything else I should check before I replace the gateway controller? Is there any advantage to purchasing 3rd party or do I have to go through the dealership? Is reprograming always necessary and can this be done on only the board or do I have to bring in the entire machine?
Before doing that, I would study a wiring diagram and determine if all those circuits perhaps, share a common ground.
Well the tilt and lift spool lock solenoids are grounded to the controller. The fuel shutoff solenoid is grounded to the battery. The wiring harness checks out fine. After troubleshooting for a week all my codes have disappeared, which makes me further suspect the controller. Anyone ever replace a gateway controller?
It’s certainly not uncommon for the gateway controller to go bad. Bobcat used an epoxy type filler, during that time period, that cracked and shrunk. That created undue stress on the circuit board, causing all sorts of weird problems. Look at the back of the controller and you will see what I’m describing. Sounds like your troubleshooting is sound. The controller is relatively affordable. Probably the next step. You will need to program it with the laptop. It may work without programming, but your mileage may vary. There will be a number of software updates available for a machine of that age that could be helpful.
Good to know, so is it ok to buy an aftermarket controller and have the dealership reprogram if I’m having issues?
I don’t think aftermarket controllers are available. Who’s your local dealer?
Bestline Bobcat, I just see the same Bobcat part# from other online suppliers for close to half of what’s on Bobcats website.
I use Bobcat of Juneau, for parts. Great outfit.
You can buy the controller aftermarket for sure you can also have yours repaired depending on whats actually going on once they get into it. The gate way should be a plug and play replacement
Interesting. Please tell us more about these aftermarket parts. I’m genuinely curious. Plug & play? It seems like every time I plug Service Analyzer to a machine, it takes 10 minutes or so to do all the updates. How important are these updates? IDK. I always run the updates, never a problem.
Gateway is the main machine controller, and will need to be programed by a dealer after its in the machine. Serial number specific, your unlock passwords, machine options etc. are in this control. I'm not a dealer, and have changed several gateways. If you have a machine set up identical you might be able to swap to verify, but be warned a Bobcat tech may need to plug in to both machines later to correct options settings. I learned that the hard way.
Right on. That’s the way it works in my world, too. I’m not a dealer, but I contract work for a dealer, because I will go places where the dealer doesn’t dare send an employee. I’ve had some luck using a donor machine like you mentioned. It’s rare for that opportunity.
How if we don’t have any dealer near to. Is any way that we can make the new gateway works on the machine?
Im getting to this headache. Just replaced the gateway control on my bobcat s130 because the original one has blown due to a shortcut on seat bar sensor. I bought a new sensor an a used gateway module. I got the machine runs but hydraulic functions are disabled
Talk about resurrecting a dead thread. Hello new fella. Welcome to the HEF. Have a dealer program the gateway before they ship it to you. Or, pay me to do it. Issue a Po# and a credit card # and I can fit you in around Christmas. You should stop by the new member section and introduce yourself. I for one would be excited to hear about your Bobcat woes and adventures. Good luck.
I’m sorry I should introduced my self for sure. My name is Moses and i just joined to this forum seeking for a posible solutions. I’ll appreciate any help. Thanks
Where do you live, Moses? How’s the weather?
I live in the Dominican Republic (the caribbean) the weather is always warm
My English is not very good. Im trying my best
Ah, the DR! Your women are beautiful. Your English is pretty good. Where is the best place to get a coffee and a bowl of mangu in your town? I live way up North, in an icy land. Way back in the stix With a old Ford pickup And a thirty-ought six.
Lets go back to the original gateway controller. It is very rare for a failed sensor to damage a controller. It is protected, will simply give an error code. With the old controller, did you have multiple codes? or just seat bar sensor? Machine runs but no hydraulic functions sure sounds to me like the seat sensor could still be the problem. possibly wiring, or the magnet piece that goes inside the sensor can cause issues. Does your seat/ seat bar light stay on with the seat bar down? We had a slightly newer Bobcat, (M Series),in here this week with the same problem, that is, seat bar light stays on and hydraulic dont enable. New sensor didn't help and wiring checked good. Here is what we did; Checked power at the sensor, should be 5 Volts Checked ground at sensor, 5v and ground (earth) are the 2 outside wires in the 3 wire connector at the sensor. Then we unplugged sensor, expecting an error code. However soon discovered, and verified on a working Bobcat (M series) that there is no code when the seat bar sensor is unplugged. Then deliberately shorted sensor 5 volt wire to to the middle wire, (sensor return), and also no code. However, shorting ground to the middle (sense) wire did cause the expected code. In the end, the problem was the magnet piece inside the sensor was not in position. We rotated the sensor, including drilling a new mounting hole, and than all was well.