First time poster, long time reader. I just purchased a 2016 John Deere 332G skid steer with 4900 hours. Unit had engine rebuilt approximately 10 hours ago. Just did some maintenance work today including an oil change (swapped to Deere’s beloved break-in oil as rebuilder used bulk 5w-40.) Unit only took 2.5 gallons of engine oil to show full on the stick although maintenance schedule says 3.3 gallon capacity. Any ideas as to why? I drained it first using the hose system, then removed that from the pan and went straight from the pan. Any other useful tips/known issues about these machines? This is my first skid steer.
Welcome to HEF JD332G ! That is a common problem with Deere. Many of their manuals state that those are approximate quantities. Always go by the dipstick. Also, Deere does not use break-in oil in the Yanmar engine. It is usually factory filled with 0W-40 Synthetic depending machine serial number or on whether the machine has the cold start option or not. What is your machine serial number, and I can tell you what engine oil to put in it.
Mg2361, thank you for the response! Break in weight is 10w30, parts guy said 0w40 after that as well. Probably could have skipped the 37 dollar a gallon break oil then! Said the turbo gets fed quicker and lasts longer with thinner weight oil. All of my diesel experience has been with 15w40, so this is all new to me. My mind immediately went to “did I somehow get a unit with a smaller pan? The manual must be right!” My serial number is 1T0332GKCJF324119. It does not have a cold weather package. I installed a block heater when I did the oil change. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, Thread in style on right side (if seated in it) of block. 150 bucks from deere, although I’m willing to bet it would have been a 30 dollar ebay purchase if I knew what I was looking for.
My chart shows 0W-40 Synthetic.
Thank you! That’s what I will use next oil change.