Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2013 volvo l20f oil pressure and temp light flicker

zlssefi ยท 2025-02-26 11:49

Hey guys, I have a new to us loader here. The issue i am having is that the engine oil pressure light and engine temperature light flicker independently of one another. I've unplugged both sensors and the same problem continues. I've checked around the circuit and fuse board for rubbed wires, pinched wires etc but haven't found anything. I have unplugged the dash panel and while the lights don't light due to being unplugged, the warning buzzer still periodically comes on at the same interval that the lights were coming on. Has anyone run into this before? As always, thanks in advance!!

Replies15
  1. #1zlssefi2025-02-26 11:58

    Video attached.

  2. #2funwithfuel2025-02-26 12:39

    No pics, no vids

  3. #3zlssefi2025-02-26 12:52

    Keep trying to upload with no luck. I'll try again.

  4. #4funwithfuel2025-02-26 12:53

    Put it on YouTube and post the link.

  5. #5zlssefi2025-02-26 13:00
  6. #6Ben Witter2025-02-26 19:23

    The issue is more likely an intermittent short to ground on both wires to the sensors. The sensors are ground for both the lights and warning buzzer. I would start at the sensors and work back from there to the main circuit board. More than likely they are rubbed through at or near the engine.

  7. #7zlssefi2025-02-26 19:50

    thank you for the response. ive checked the harness out pretty well inside the engine cooling casing but i am going to go back to that tomorrow and double check it. is there any special way to check for the location of the short or just keep checking and pulling wires?

  8. #8funwithfuel2025-02-26 19:55

    I remember the harness would travel through a trough between the ECU and the instrument panel through a trough under the RS of the floor. Pull up the rubber floor covering, should be a tin zig-zag cover about 6-8" wide leading to the column. I have found a lot of damage there and where the harness rubs the column tilt lock lever. Good luck

  9. #9funwithfuel2025-02-26 19:57

    BTW, is the air guide in place? Is idle speed correct? Is the cooler clean? Good air flow across the cooler with higher RPM? How about the fan belt itself? Tight, cracked, glazed?

  10. #10zlssefi2025-02-26 20:20

    All the cooling air guides, panels etc are in place, cooler is clean. Could use a new belt but still moves air. I have the rubber mat out but didn't notice the wiring channel. I'll double check tomorrow.

  11. #11zlssefi2025-02-27 10:53

    bingo!

  12. #12funwithfuel2025-02-27 17:09

    Where was that discovered?

  13. #13zlssefi2025-02-27 17:12

    Right down next to the ac compressor. It was rubbing on the foil heatshield on the fuel tank. Also found a destroyed harness going to the front wiper motor while chasing a washer fluid leak.

  14. #14funwithfuel2025-02-27 17:14

    Good little machines, but they could have improved the wiring a bit.

  15. #15zlssefi2025-02-27 17:51

    Very true. They vibrate like no other which adds to some of this i believe. The wiper harness was rodent damage.