Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2014 Cat 299D – Grease zerk issues

John Strange ยท 2021-12-31 01:52

Anyone have a procedure for removing the pins on the undercarriage, I was able to free up 2 of the grease ports, but the other two seem solid as a rock. Serial: GTC00635

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2021-12-31 05:33

    Not much to it but I'll bet money it turns out to be not as simple as these instructions make it out to be, especially if some of the pins are not taking grease.

  2. #2John Strange2021-12-31 20:01

    ugh so removing the entire track system is the only way to get to that pin on the grease zerk.. I may see if I can get a long metal pick to get in that lol..

  3. #3James Sorochan2021-12-31 21:52

    Have you tried one of these grease tools? Might be worth a try.

  4. #4John Strange2021-12-31 22:18

    I have a dewalt 10,000 PSI grease gun, filled it with WD40/Penetrating oil and then put pressure on it nothing.. I'm soaking it in penetrating every day for a few days to see if it gets better.

  5. #5suladas2021-12-31 22:44

    I would try the tool above, I have same grease gun and found it will not put grease into a fitting, then I fill above tool with wd40 and pound it and it will free up a lot of times. You can just buy the 1 part it's like $15.

  6. #6John Strange2022-01-01 00:22

    wow really, that's surprising will give it a try, thank you.

  7. #7Makers Acres2022-01-18 16:35

    I also have problems with these grease fittings. I found that it had to do with how the machine is putting weight on these joints. You might want to try getting the weight off the treads by putting blocks in the rear and then rotating the bucket down.

  8. #8uglyguy2023-07-15 16:22

    We have had the same issue. Tried everything to get the zerks including - Dewalt 10,000 PSI grease gun, filled it with WD40/Penetrating oil and let it set for 24 hours - used drill bit to hand drill grease out - Used a Grease buster - used a long metal pick to dig grease out Ended up jacking the skidsteer up and removed the (12 bolt on the side of track and sliding the entire undercarriage/trac out to access the inside of the axle. You'll need to use a drill bit to clean the hole that is a 90 degree bend in the grease pipe. We had to use a drill to drill out the compacted grease/dirt in the tubes. (No way a pic could clean it out) Also used a Wire brush wheel to clean the inside of the bushing housing on the undercarriage. The inside walls of the bushing had hard crude built up that degreaser would not clean it. It was a pain pulling both undercarriages off, but glad we did, because we have always had issues pumping grease in them (Same issue with an older 289C and the current 299D2). I could never figure out how to get them clean and was about to buy a $800 high pressure pump to unblock the zerks (heard that what the shops used). Glad I did not buy one, because there is no way that we could have unplugged the grease holes that had a 90 degree bend.. We used a small JD 2305 garden tractor with 2 chains to drag and slide the undercarriage over. Be careful not to pull them to far off. (Note: we did not remove the hydraulic lines, as they ad enough length to pull the tracks over) We did have an issue sliding the right undercariage over. It was stuck on the axle so bad, that we had to heat up the axle'shaft and bushing and pull and yank the undercarriage with chains really hardf and hit the axle with a sledge hammer to get it unstuck. We tried wedging a jack in place to force it out, but did not have a small enough jack to wedge it out.