Hello…I am hoping that someone may have an idea what is causing my machine to run hot lately. fjx00370. 3 weeks back when temps were around 75ish, the machine shut itself off and gave an message that the coolant was too high..I was running the ac since it was humid. had been running for 5-6 hrs..shut down and it cooled off pretty quickly..maybe 10 mins…ran for another 90 mins with no issues and ac on…last week with temps around 85 and humid…got the same message that coolant was running hoT after running for 2 hours….was running the ac…did not shut itself off-just triggered the warning message...took about 45 mins to cool down…at this time we blew out the radiator/fan…little dusty but not crazy…we also changed the thermostat regulator with a new cat one…yesterday was the 1st day with the new regulator and it was 85 and humid but this time the machine now says that the hydraulic oil is running hot…it later said the coolant was running hot..we were hoping that we had a bad regulator but we r not sure now…we also had a buddy recharge the ac since it was low…we are wondering if the coolant and hydraulic hot triggers could be related or not. Ran it today for 3 hrs and temps on both coolant and hydraulic got close but did not trigger a warning and it was close to 90…but I did not run the ac today. regarding the hydraulic issue, the level is in the acceptable range but on the lower side…thanks for any help…Todd
First of all I am no mechanic. Not familiar with the configuration of the hydraulic cooler, radiator and A/C condenser but we have had overheating issues on our 321 and 325 compact radius machines due to debris you cannot see between the radiator and hydraulic coolers. All sorts of debris can get caked in and restrict air flow. The solution we had success with was washing with a tremendous amount of water from a normal garden hose. If you can split the cooler and rad that's obviously the best way but not easy on a compact radius machine. Best advice I can give to start with is wash till the water is crystal clean. I wouldn't use a pressure washer since it can deform the fins. We have real mechanics her on HEF that can offer more than I can. Hopefully Nige will take a look at this thread.
Do you have an infrared temp gun to take some temperature readings at the thermostat, inlet and outlet of the radiator, etc? Also if you could post some photos of the cooling package, that would help. Have you checked the condition and tension of the fan belt?
Thanks CM..I will definitely to hose it down tomorrow and see what washes out…a buddy mentioned that the cooler could have some dirt/grime/junk in it
AharT..thanks for the reply...we bought the belts when I got the regulator but they looked in good shape so we didn’t replace them…the alternator belt was pretty much maxed out so a buddy is gonna stop and check it when I am running it…we do have an infrared gun somewhere so we can check that as well.
Ahart..not sure if this helps but this what I have tonight from my phone.
Yes that helps. It gives us an idea of the overall cleanliness of the machine, in this case it looks great. Could still have some debris in the core but overall, it looks very clean.
Update…cleaned the radiator with a garden hose and was a little dirty…not too bad tho…buddy looked at it and he felt the belt was a little loose and he felt that the fan belt was a little glazed over…getting replaced tomorrow...so hopefully that will be the fix
since your hydraulic is getting hot before the coolant, it could be a faulty hydraulic bypass valve. I think someone else on this forum is having a similar issue. If the fan belt doesn't fix it have a look at that with an IR gun and see if the valve is stuck open or half closed etc and dumping hot oil back to the tank. Tank oil temp would high as well.
305 first gen cat running hot 305 cat runs hot after about an hour of digging. I have clean the radiator, cleaned the oil cooler, and clean the AC condenser. I have taken the radiator to the radiator shop and had it cleaned inside. I have replaced the thermostat and the fan belts, and adjusted them. I was talking to the guy... HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks Digger…I saw ur post on that thread…I will check your thoughts if the machine still runs hot after we replace the belt