Hello! Have not been on here in awhile. Purchased a 2014 Cat D5K and the implement pump is leaking badly. I ordered a new one and am considering replacing myself, have tools, etc. My first question is there a shut off valve at the hydraulic tank as I do not want to have to drain all 15 gallons to replace the pump. My second question is there restrictor valves in the system that will allow me to change the pump without draining the fluid? I plan on doing this this weekend myself if I do not have to drain the tank. Thank you for your help. Gary
Post a Serial Number and I can pull an extract from the Service Manual to remove and install the implement pump. Answers to a couple of your questions. No shutoff valve on tank and no restrictor valves in hydraulic system AFAIK. Here is the procedure for a random S/N prefix of D5K (there are over a dozen options). You'll need to drop the belly guard. It might be a silly question but it's not the gasket between the pump and the flywheel housing that's leaking is it.?
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I guess the gasket could be leaking but the fluid is squirting through the engine compartment door screen. Here is the serial number KWW00442. Does the supply line come straight from the tank or from the hydrualic controller on the right side of cab? If it does, could I just disconnect the supply and the high pressure return lines at the control valve? Thanks, Gary
Sorry, the suction line into the pump comes straight from the tank so you need to drain it. How much does 15L of oil cost versus the price of the new pump you just bought.? What we refer to as 4/5 of 9/10 of ***k all. If I was you before considering removing the pump I'd be looking very carefully around the connectors 6 & 7 in the illustration below just to make sure that you don't have a loose connector or a failed O-Ring. To fix either of those would be a lot cheaper than a new pump (but would still require the hydraulic tank to be drained). My bet FWIW is that you will find the O-Ring in the groove on the end of one of the connectors 6 or 7 has failed and that's where your leak is. Procedure specifric to your Serial Number is attached.
If you get a double reply, not sure what happened to my first reply. S/N kww00442. Thanks
Hi, I cleaned the area up some and then ran the dozer, I could not find any leak at the tubes, am now wondering if the o rings will come with the pump, I did order the gasket. Here are some pics if you see anything I dont. It is a mess. Thanks
Clean it up run it with the side shield off work hydraulics and see where it is coming from first
Thank you Dave, I had it running and using just the ripper and had high rpm's but could not see anything. Maybe I should use blade and ripper at same time?
If it is squirting out of the side shield you should be able to see it
And to state the obvious keep in mind that oil like "you know" what flows down hill, or as the case might be down wind. Point being always look up hill or up wind to be sure the wetness is not coming from something else and only showing on the pump because that is where it is settling. This brings to mind many years back when another mechanic was set to a gravel bed around two hours away after being told the 988(A) 87A had a blown head gasket. He had ordered a complete head gasket set and was ready for a long job out in the field. Lucky for him he took time to assess the machine before ripping into it. Turned out it was just a valve cover gasket leaking at the timing gear end that was running down the rear of the engine and the fan was pulling the oil along the top of the block on the way to the fan and radiator!
No they won't. Maybe on an aftermarket pump but certainly not on a Cat one. The reason I say that is the procedure I posted above clearly states to remove the connectors from the old pump and install them in the new one. The connectors are part of the Pump Lines Group. See illustration below Ref 8 & 21. The O-rings you will need (1 of each) are: - 7M-8485 & 8T-0315 for connector ref #8. 3D-2824 & 6V-9746 for connector ref #21.
Seeing as how that pump runs of the timing housing and not the flywheel housing if the pump gasket is leaking that is motor oil on the pump. Clean all the oil and dirt off and run it looking for leak. Bob
Try looking for clean spots the hot oil always washes that grime off Wear your safety glasses and don't be sticking your hand in there feeling for leaks when its running
Hello, sorry for the late response. I cleaned off the pump really good and it is leaking at the junction of the back plate to the pump. It only squirts out when really hot. I will order the o-rings, thanks for the part numbers. The fan is blowing the oil around the front of the engine and that why it looks like motor oil , but the engine has not lost any oil in the last months as I check it every time. I also tried to siphon the hydraulic oil using a drill pump through the filler neck, but it appears there is an anti-siphon "twist" in the filler to prevent vandelism and such, so I will have to drain out the belly. Thank you.
I got the implement pump replaced and this weekend drove over a rock I could not see and it bent up the rear belly guard and now has oil leaking there. The dozer runs fine, but I need a diagram of the belly gaurds to see which one I need to order. Anyone have that information? Thank you! , Gary
This is what you need. Unless the guard is split usually a decent blacksmith would be able to straighten it up again.
Thank you so much Nige! Really appreciate it. Gary
Due to a rock breaking up into the rear pan guard, is there a diagram of how to remove the floor of the cab? Can you see the main pump and drives if I take off the cab floor. "?? Thanks, Gary
pull floor mat there is a pan underneath that to give you limited access to the hydraulic pump compartment. at the rear of the machine there are cover plates that give you access to drive motors.
Thank you JD! Appreciate the help!
You’re welcome I’m pretty familiar with these K models. They are more or less fairly mechanic friendly Get yourself some hardwood 6x6 blocking like some good strong oak and walk the machine up on it to give yourself some more room underneath. I almost always put these machines on blocks for some belly room
Hello all! Hope everyone is doing ok. I need to replace my batteries on my 2014 D5K. Does anyone have the procedure to remove the floor of the cab to get to the second battery? Thanks
See attached.
Thank you Nige, you are always a life saver! Appreciate the help!