Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2014 CAT Dozer D6NXL

Anthony93 · 2024-06-05 20:43

Hey guys so a few months ago I remember changing the output speed sensor that’s directly on top of the trans. I don’t remember what codes it threw us. Now just today it quit moving in higher gears and wouldn’t leave first. I went out there with my scanner and two codes pop up. 585-2 and 673-2. 1 and 2 trans output speed sensors. Where is the second one at? They are both reading differently to on the status side of cat et. PER00544

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2024-06-05 23:04

    Are you talking about the speed sensor on top of the converter housing.? The one that screws in and adjusts with a locknut. That's the transmission input speed sensor. It's the only one out of a total of five speed sensors that is accessible from outside. There are two intermediate and two output speed sensors. The transmission output speed sensors #37 are located together side by side inside the bevel gear goup. If the signal from both sensors failed at the same toime it's likely to be a wiring problem.

  2. #2Anthony932024-06-06 10:48

    I bought the speed sensor that goes on top of the trans. It’s the only one I was able to find at the moment. Is there a part number for that and the harness? I’m not at my computer

  3. #3Anthony932024-06-06 10:49

    I don’t know if they both failed at the same time or one after the order

  4. #4Anthony932024-06-06 10:51

    How do you access the location of the bevel gear?

  5. #5Nige2024-06-06 11:13

    Start by removing the transmission and bevel gear assembly. that's why you have to be doubly sure there is a sensor failure and not a wiring fault. This is also the reason why there are two intermediate and two output speed sensors, for redundancy in case one of them fails.

  6. #6Nige2024-06-06 11:16

    You cannot access the transmission at all once it is installed in the machine. Was the sensor you bought 318-1178.? Did it look like this.? If that's it then you replaced the covnerter output/transmission input (same thing) speed sensor.

  7. #7Nige2024-06-06 11:22

    See where these troubleshooting procedures get you.

  8. #8Anthony932024-06-06 13:11

    Turns out it’s the harness that’s causing all the trouble. There’s exposed wires in the rubber

  9. #9Nige2024-06-06 13:20

    I thought it was unlikely for both sensors to go bad at the same time.

  10. #10Anthony932024-06-06 14:13

    Ya I tried to temporarily fix the wiring to the speed sensor but when I barely touched it it crumbled and fell apart.