Hi, Recently had the check engine light come on so I brought it in and they sent the dpf out to get baked clean. After about 100 miles of country hill driving the dpf light came on so I pulled over and ran the parked regen which cleared the light. Now after 50 more miles the check engine light has come on again. I’ve only had this truck 3k miles and bought it with 120k on it and this is its third trip to the shop. Is this a common problem?
Does a cat have an ass? There is a reason you can buy these trucks all day long for $10-15k. Run. Very fast, very far.
Very common, the Maxxforce 9 is a piece of crap, and that's being generous. Either sell it, delete the emissions, get good on working on it yourself, or be ready to write big checks a lot. My dads 2015 maxxforce 9 only has 80k miles on it and went through 1 turbo, 2 egr coolers, and rebuilt top end. $20k in engine work already that wasn't warranty. The emissions took out the turbo. The egr cooler fails and starting burning coolant which took out the top end. Deleting would solve most of the issues with it.
I do run a decent amount of Maxxforce engines, and I can tell you that they sure are not as tough as CAT!!! I find them complete junk if you keep the emissions on. But I deleted mines, and they've been really good ever since. Just be careful where you get the delete software from, a lot of cheap junk there. I've had the ones with def, and the ones with just dpf. For more informations on delete(used this company for my trucks and never had any issues): dpf egr model: https://truckecmtunes.com/international/maxxforce9-dpf-egr-delete-tuning.html dpf def mode: https://truckecmtunes.com/international/maxxforceN9-dpf-egr-def-scr-delete-tuning.html
I was keeping a 2200 gallon heating oil delivery truck with a MaxForce 9 running and it had the highest operating cost of any of my other 57 fuel trucks of various brands. One problem after another. Mostly exhaust after-treatment issues. Engine oil fuel dilution around 10% at 250 hour oil change intervals. International stating that 7% was normal! I Eventually went to 150 hour oil change intervals. The ECM programming dumps huge amounts of fuel during regens. I finally got a replacement and donated the chassis to the local University for their diesel program. They already had a couple of them that were also donated along with ISIS subscriptions, tools and diagnostic software. Great training aids. Navistar International is still in litigation over lawsuits with these engines. What a disaster of an engine.