I live in Oregon and California has trucks that need to leave the state because of regulations. I have a lead on an 88 F800 that sounds like it would be perfect for my growing business. A little back story to paint the picture.. 5 years ago I started business with a Stihl FS110 weed eater at a 76 toyota pickup. since then I have upgraded the truck(s) to a 97 F250 7.3 4x4 with a 5 speed. The tractor has gone from a little 25 horse to a 2017 New Holland 40 horse tractor (early this last spring and a 2006 Bobcat T300 with attachments about 2 months ago. The truck will pull everything, but stopping sucks and honestly, it just isn't wise for the long term. With the T300 and 8.5' mow deck and the trailer, I am close to 15k. I feel like this F800 would be a fantastic option for the business and would allow more work for the bobcat and even the tractor. I don't know **** about dump trucks. I have just been building the business over time and as the money comes in. I am curious if anyone has advice on the dump truck. I know it is on the older side, but it seems very well loved and responsibly worked. The man has used it for his excavation business and does not want to sell it, but can't use it. He has owned it for almost 20 years and before that it was a county truck. Air brakes, 30k weight, 7.8L with 260k miles, automatic and is set up with a transfer for fueling. Again, I don't know anything about running a dump truck or what goes on behind the scenes of owning one, but I feel it is an appropriate and responsible next step. If I could afford to buy newer I would, but with the other purchases and winter coming, I want to keep things a little tighter. It is already my biggest year of growth, so a "cheap truck - $6k - seems like a good option. I have the CDL permit test on Tuesday
Should I scrap the idea of the 30K weight and find something similar but under 26? The owner of this one just seems like such a genuinely good person, which means something to me when I buy things used. This feels like a good deal and a fitting addition to the business, I just am apprehensive because it is uncharted territory ( as is/was the Bobcat ). Two new to me but used machines could be an unexpected nightmare. But it could also be a great next step....
If you pass your tests keep the weight capacity. The F800 is likely Hydraulic(Juice) brakes with the Lucas Girling parking system, is a positive improvement from a pickup but not a great deal improved due to age. Inspect the bed for Cracks, splits at welds, leaks on hydraulics. CA trucks are coming out cheap as have nothing they can do with them In State. Next up, Gas or Diesel? Gas is a issue with sitting, parts from Ford are a bit lean but doable aftermarket for most general repair pieces.
Don’t forget about insurance. Anything with a dump bed is going to go into much higher price category. Don’t ask me how I know, but I know.
I believe the 7.8 is the Ford sourced Brazilian diesel motor. Also he states it has air brakes. Big improvement over a pickup I would think.
That actually sounds like quite a good truck to take your business another step. But even 20 years ago it was already somewhat obsolete but if you are clever you can figure most of the parts. Don't pay very much for it. Does it have trailer air already plumbed?
If you take the driving test in a automatic that means you will get a restriction on your CDL for automatic only you will have to take the CDL again if you decide to get another rig with manual transmission. At least that's what they do in MT I'm sure it's the same in OR.
I don’t have much way to include a photo on here or I would. It’s on Craigslist and from Watsonville. The pictures on the ad are trash though. It does have air brakes, air tailgate and air pintle hitch. I don’t think there is air to a trailer, but maybe. Not that I can tell from the photos though, but unless it is using a regular air coupler - I would probably miss it anyway. this truck won’t be my daily, but it would definitely be used for the Bobcat. My working area is small, mix of small town and rural, so I think the truck will be enough in the way of power and general getting around. The biggest city is 70k with a few small communities around it. it is the 7.8 Brazilian and an Allison 4 speed (545 pretty sure). The owner is an owner operator of a few pieces of equipment and some temporary employees in his busy times. I’ve spoken with him probably 4 times over the phone and we get along well. He wants the truck to go to a good home and I want to give it one. I’m aware the insurance will go up a chunk. I figure that is just part of the cost of growing and I have wanted a dump truck or trailer for years and this would potentially allow for added growth and services offered. Again. I’m nervous because it is unfamiliar territory for me, but my guts are telling me this is all a good thing. - scary is good, right?
Yeah, the transmission thing is the same here. My issue is that I don’t have access to another truck. As it is, if this deal works out I will have to have the truck brought up here by a hauling company ($1400) just so I can use it for my CDL test. unless I can find a dope that wants to let me use their truck for my test so I can drive the Ford back up legally... Any takers?
If you haven't driven a semi with manual transmission in your life, it isn't advisable to do so on your test. Might need about a week or more to get it down right enough for the test.
Not in my life. I have driven many manuals, but none in this type of application.
Those years two and half tons were fully synchronized five speeds.
Is anyone seeing any red flags anywhere? If I could afford more truck I would, but I kinda blew most of my money/debt on the T300. I feel like I will make more with the skid than the truck, but they can compliment each other and increase my safety. when I view the truck, is there anything I should look for or ask about? I am going to have him go over all the ins and outs of the truck when I am there. He says it’s old and used, but incredibly reliable and wants to work. weak points or common issues? I’ve looked on line and seen the transmission can be weak for applications like a school bus, but the smaller dumpers seem okay. he says he has never had to open the engine or transmission in the years he has had it. Just bolt on repairs/ maintenance. I think my main concern is knowing what to look for in the air system. I get the basic operation of it, but like I have said, this is new territory.
Picture or a link will help us help you on said rig.
Presence of a air drier, records as to all machine services and the repairs he stated were bolt on. Look over all four springs for busted leaves, obvious indications of shifting as large scraped or bare sections of leaf showing, Body work alluding to wreck damage, functionality of gauges and warning buzzers(Air is on below 90-95PSI), Check ALL the lighting get it up to full air pressure shut it off listen for obvious leaks. Leaks of any kind.
Sounds about the things one would find on the CDL road test...
https://medford.craigslist.org/hvo/d/watsonville-dump-truck/7221838753.html
From looks of it looks great with nice rubber on it from one can see. I would check it out if I were you.
I’ve seen a lot worse advertised for a lot more money. The fuel transfer set up is a bonus.
The tires all look good in the photos that were texted, and they match. I could see the fittings all looked like they get regular grease and the bed looks clean with minimal dents and such. The guy says he rarely moves boulders, concrete or the like. Often fill dirt and gravel. gonna have to paint the cab though. I can’t do that county color.
Led a sheltered life by appearances, Buy It!!
The only complaint I had about my old truck with the 7.8 was that it was gutless, but it was on a tandem picker weighting about 34,000lbs empty. Incredible on fuel though. Never gave me any problems. Only things I did to it were 2 coolant hoses and a starter. Not a lot of money if it's in anywhere as good of condition as it looks.
I will give some updates tomorrow after I see it. I am stopped for the night and still have just a few more hours of driving left in the morning.
Guys that did our concrete work have a early 90s Lt8000 Ford 7.8 6513 eaton tandem dump Routinely haul removal materials and a deere tlb on a 30t tag
Sorry for the slow update. I saw the truck and instantly fell in love. I was with the owner for about two hours talking about the history of the truck, operation and test drive. The only issues the truck has are 1: the washer fluid doesn't squirt and 2: a sensor/light was out that indicates when the dump is raised. He installed two new batteries, new headlights, wipers and made sure all the belts were in good order. Fluids were full, including 3/4 of a tank of diesel and the wiper tank that wont squirt. Everything operates smoothly and she starts on the first crank every time.
Pampered old puppy. Should do well for you. Would consider fixing the raise bar for the left gate hatch, always times when a different point of controlled release is handy. Has the Second Trailer Brake release valve, appears has had the glad hands removed from the rear, easy enough to retrofit back on. IF wanted.
Nice looking truck
That's a very nice looking truck for it's age. Nice purchase!
Looks great! Now just time to jump the hurdle of getting a CDL to operate it.
Been studying for a week now with any spare time I have. The dumper will be arriving on Thursday. I’m pumped to start cleaning her up.
Just remember on the driving course they will have a route that covers each part of the test, bridge height, railroad tracks, speed limit, hand placement on the wheel. Knew someone failed cause they asked bridge height posted and been the route million times in everyday life never giving thought of it and didn't know the answer. Mine was, there wasn't one posted which was true. Plus I think she felt embarrassed she couldn't buckle the seat belt she was oversized load, I needed to let the air out the seat for her to fit
Lookee there, he's got trailer air! Nice truck, color is cool... Don't paint it!
Same on my road trip. Starts out on 4 lane HWY that goes over a bridge - no weight limit posted sign. The correct answer was "no sign posted".
Buddy of mine answered 'Legal Axle Weight' and failed that question.
Yup, trailer air and a auxiliary air on the passenger side. This baby has the goods The color has grown on me, but I want to paint it to give it an overall cleaner, more professional look. I am thinking of doing the cab white and the bed a dark gun metal grey or doing it blue. Thoughts on colors? I think it would be cool to keep it original, but I bought it for the business and I like to keep my stuff looking nice and clean, even when it is old.
I can't wait to get that CDL. It seems silly that I need a proper class A for my setup, but whatever. If that is what I need then that is what I need. I will admit, I don't test well, but I am a good driver. I will just have to study and study. I am an eager learner though, so if anyone has any more tips my ears are open. Well, I guess my eyes are open in this case.
Also don't do like me and do a systems check in the cab for horn lights and such and the horn not work cause you jammed it on the way to test site from some moron pulling out on you. If it does happen you can do like me and pull out your buck knife and start working on it ripping horn off while the instructor looks wide eyed at you after exclaiming if the horn doesn't work the test is concluded. Think when I was done she was afraid to not pass me
I think you covered this earlier in the thread but I would not test in that truck if possible. Automatic and bumper pull may get you a restriction on your class A. Around here there is a rental yard that rents little 5th wheel tractors with flat bed trailers and used to be 10 speeds although they have been replaced and are probably synchro transmissions now. So look around and see what you can do for instructional rentals, also tank and hazmat and doubles and triples are just additional knowledge on the test, no drive test required so if you fall on hard times you may find a job driving a truck somewhere that 95% of people do not have the license to do.
That's hilarious.
I have thought about this. I thought about the HAZ and Tank endorsements and my neighbor does run a water delivery business. As for the manual trans endorsement, I would prefer this, but around here equipment rental is scarce between all the new construction and now the clean up from the fire that came through the valley a few months back. I will look into it, but I am expecting it to be more of a challenge than it should be. We will see.
When I got my licence I did book learning on my own then paid for hourly road lessons at a local school with their tractor trailer. This allowed me to take the test with their rig at their yard where I had been practicing instead of some state yard 2 hours away. Passed first try, no restrictions. Money well spent.
Thought I would give a little update on the truck. She cleaned up real nice and, though I haven't been able to put a ton of miles on it, she runs fantastic. A joy to drive. But maybe that is just my excitement talking...
That is a great looking older dump truck. Should make you a lot of money. Jeff
Thanks! The pictures do not do it justice. The weather here has been pretty poor and the spot is not the best for decent photos. There are definately some cancer spots on the cab, but other than that it is in really really good shape. I spent a bit of time cleaning it. I even polished and waxed it which really helped bring her back to a former glory. I enjoy driving it. Now I just need that CDL...
A fella I know just took his rig test. Sure hope you have better luck than he did.
Got a good one there Hard to find decent little dump trucks here that do not cost a fortune or are already totally destroyed
Concentrate on the truck instead of the guy.