Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2014 Takeuchi TL12 Starting Issues

Jeff Eady · 2023-12-14 19:53

Good evening, while I was attempting to change out the starter switch in my Takeuchi, I forgot to remove the positive from the battery. Unfortunately, I during the swap, I accidently grounded out the hot wire and blew the 45-amp fuse link in the rear of the machine. I purchased a new fuse today and regained power to the display but now my machine will not crank. I checked all fuses with my multimeter but can't find any blown fuses. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Jeff

Replies11
  1. #1Arny L2023-12-14 21:26

    Is there any fusible links down by the starter. Check your starter solenoid wire for power, when key is held in crank position, if you don't get 12v, maybe you cooked switch.

  2. #2Jeff Eady2023-12-15 08:06

    I will check the starter today. I changed the switch yesterday and that did not change anything. When I turn the key to the start position I was hearing a click. I had my son come out and turn the switch so I could locate the clicking sound. The clicking came from this piece and I have no idea what it is.

  3. #3heymccall2023-12-15 08:27

    That is start relay. The white connector energizes that relay (when you have key switch in "crank"), and, while that is occurring, the wires bolted to the start relay become connected to each other, sending power to the starter solenoid.

  4. #4Jeff Eady2023-12-15 08:46

    Great, so maybe it’s fried? I held it in my hand and it would just click when my son turned the key to start.

  5. #5Simon C2023-12-15 23:04

    The solenoid clicking with your hand on it is a good thing, but does not guarantee power will transfer out, or that power is coming to it. You will have to check for this. Simon C

  6. #6Jeff Eady2023-12-16 11:11

    So, I took the part above to the Takeuchi dealer to get a new one and they advised it is an Air/Heater Relay. Back to square one. I did figure out that i do not have power to the starter solenoid even while turning the key to the start position. I installed a new switch and that didn't correct it. All fuses that I have found are good. Relays are good that I have found. There is something between the key switch to the solenoid that I am missing. I jumped the starter, and it fired right up....

  7. #7Simon C2023-12-16 18:50

    You have a problem between the S-Terminal of the Key Switch and the S-Terminal of the starter solenoid. Would have to see the schematic to see what the power from the keyswitch passes through before getting to starter. Probably a safety switch or 2 that is out of alignment or faulty. Maybe a small relay is not switching or faulty. Not sat in one to tell you what safety switches it has, than other than some kind of seat switch most likely. Maybe someone can post a schematic to solve the problem. Mean time have you tested with a meter while trying to start for how much voltage there was to the S-Terminal of the starter. will be a good indicator of dirty connection versus open circuit. Simon C

  8. #8Jeff Eady2023-12-16 19:06

    Thanks Simon C.

  9. #9Simon C2023-12-16 21:03

    As Arny L said a fusible link down by the starter is a good possibility. Someone else has one of these machines and schematics, no doubt. In your post #7 you said that you had power to the Solenoid with key turned to start position. Unless I don't understand why did starter not crank with power to solenoid. Unless if you have a bad ground cable or bad main power cable. You posted that you jumped the starter, was that with remote power or off the Positive terminal on the starter. Trying to figure it out. Simon C

  10. #10Arny L2023-12-16 21:34

    Heymccall often posts on here about a bank of relays that need to be re-soldered every once in awhile, cracked solder joints. Check your relays closer.

  11. #11heymccall2023-12-16 21:41

    I no have TL12 diagram.