Hello, I have a 2014 D5 with 4660 hours on it. My yellow def light is staying on and the red alert sign is flashing only when the turbo is de rated, once it stops beeping the turbo is restored. It is regening and randomly blowing black/brown debris from the exhaust pipe. It runs fine and pushes fine, how long do the DPF filters last? Should it be changed at a certain engine hour? I did change the dpf sensor and it started regening with the dark brown exhaust , ran it for 12 hours, is this an indication it is working correctly and finally clean itself? Thanks, Gary
For looking up information model year doesn't help so much. A Serial Number is better. Do you know how to show diagnostic codes on your monitor.? Have you looked and did you find any.?
we had a d5k clog the dpf filter. You can run a egr valve test if i Rember right and ours failed. Was told this is a common problem. Local dpf guy cut ours apart and cleaned it then welded back together.
Nige, my serial number is 0KWW00442, I do not know how to show the diag codes in the monitor. Nowing75, how did they clean the filter, I am not aware of any service like that here in Texas. I am just north of San Antonio. Thanks, Gary
A DPF only holds a certain amount of ash and when full or close to it you get the kinds of problems you are describing. In my experience the machines of that time period get from 4,000 to 5,000 hours when the unit has to be cleaned. You used to be able to get exchange units from the Cat dealer or they usually had access to someone who could clean them. You might also check with truck dealers who might know of someone who does that service. I don't remember the exact sequence of the menus but the password was usually either FFF2 or 9992 in that era. You would then have access to the service menu to check on fault codes. Someone will be along to correct that if I am wrong. Good Luck!
Sorry I was wrong. This is a K2 model and does not have the ability to see Diagnostic Codes on the Monitor. It requires Cat ET. I would suggest that before doing anything regarding scattergunning parts at it you need someone (dealer or local independent) to get ET hooked up and show you what you have right now. I agree with John you could probably be getting close to the point of operating hours that the DPF might equire either cleaning or an exchange replacement. But see above suggestion before proceeding down that path. From the Operator Manual Note: If the DPF light turns on, do NOT contact the CAT dealer. Simply change the machine operation to increase the exhaust temperature. If the soot level is elevated, the DPF light will come on. The light will remain on until the soot level reduces. The engine is safe to operate with the DPF light on as long as no other warning lights are active. Do one of the following actions to help reduce the soot level. The following methods are ways to achieve a higher exhaust temperature. 1. Turn off the ECO mode 2. Operate the engine at higher speeds 3. Change the decel/brake pedal functionality so that engine speed does not decrease when the pedal that is activated. 4. Increase the machine load by continuously pushing a heavy load for 30 to 60 minute.
Thank you all. Will proceed as suggested. I will run it this weekend and monitor, I do believe it is regening but slow to remove soot.
It doesn't remove soot, it just burns it to an ash that is stored inside the DPF. When the storage area is full, you get warnings and alarms and then you have to have it serviced.
The DPF filters on these machines are designed to last the life of the engine. The 5000 service interval is only on machines with an ARD combustion system. Cat says these one piece filters cannot be cleaned and must be replaced. We have sent them to a filter cleaning service and they cut them apart and tig weld them back together. This usually needs done if there’s another failure with the engine that causes excessive soot buildup in the DPF. Most of the time, the EGR system is at fault, egr valve stuck or something of that sort. I’ve also seen the EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) not function correctly which causes low DPF temps.
there is a local guy in indianapolis that all he does is clean dpf. He has to cut it apart as it is not serviceable like that larger equipment has.
Correct, fleet express is what the place is called that we use, it’s in a Indy. Im almost certain there will be a similar service in San Antonio somewhere. I’d just run a google search on DPF cleaning San Antonio.
Hello, I have contacted a company in San Antonio about cleaning, but if I decide to buy a replacement from CAT, does anyone have the service procedure to do so from CAT? D5K2XL, 2014, 0kww00442. Thanks to all. Gary
Are you looking for the Part Number, or a procedure to R&I the filter, or both.?
There is no ash level timer to reset on these and they use RF antennas to detect soot load so you can just replace the filter and run the machine as normal. As long as there are no other codes that should work fine.
Thanks, Nige am looking to R&I the filter, I have a quote from Cat pending and I have someone to do the work as CAT's service call fees and labor are off the charts.
Thank you! Good to know.
Thanks, Nige am looking to R&I the filter
Hi Nige, I got the new filter and was wondering if you had the service manual piece to R&I the DPF filter. Thanks, Gary
I sent it to you last Friday by PM. Did you not receive it.?
Be sure to be gentle with the soot antennas on each end of the filter when you remove/install your hood assembly. If they get bent they will no longer function properly.
Hello everyone, just an update. Replaced the filter and after warming up and going through a regen cycle all the warning lights went our. Used it for a couple hours and all seems well. Ditto Ahart, those soot antennas do require gentle handling, ended up replacing both and the sensor, crazy expensive. All and all very happy with the repairs. Thank you all for your help!
Typical time on the DPF is 5,000 hours when it will need to be removed and cleaned or replaced. Software in the machine system will have to be reset which usually requires factory software. Deleting emissions systems has its own hazards.
The 5000 hr interval only applies to the ARD systems, the filters on the D5K and like are designed to last the lifetime of the engine as cat says they can’t be cleaned. This isn’t accurate as I have had several of them cut apart and cleaned and then welded back together.