Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Your thoughts on this D6D equalizer bar

LCA078 · 2022-04-22 10:02

Went to inspect a local D6D for sale. Overall it's an okay dozer for it's age but I was concerned about a couple things, mainly the equalizer bar and bottom plate. I'll do a separate thread on the bottom plate. For the equalizer bar, it looks like missing the brackets/plates to capture it when you raise the dozer with the blade. I don't know what a complete set looks like other than what's in SIS. Looks like the bar has been floating for a while because it wore into one side of the brackets (can't remember if front or back). What's your thoughts on what it would take to 'fix' the equalizer bar? What's your thoughts on what it would take to 'fix' the equalizer bar?

Replies13
  1. #1LCA0782022-04-22 11:46

    here is what I found in SIS to get an idea of parts. It's only a few bucks of brackets and such but I have no idea of the amount of effort or pain it would take to 'fix' this and make the equalizer bar fully functional. And I say 'fix' because I'm assuming there may be more ways to fix this than try to get it back to factory spec. I'm assuming the equalizer bar rolls around in the bracket where I placed the arrow.

  2. #2John C.2022-04-22 16:19

    The 2P9415 pads are missing. Those square blocks with the bolt holes can be replaced and new pads installed. I've done it on D8 and D9 dozers. The D6 looks pretty tight. You remove the bar and should have enough room to work. You will have to remove one of the top roller stands so the bar can be pulled out the side.

  3. #3LCA0782022-04-23 14:17

    I'm assuming this requires the blue wrench and a welder as it looks like the square block with bolt hole is integral to the frame (where the arrow points) and i can't find that square block as a part for purchase. I would have to torch off the old blocks, fab up some new ones, weld them on, and install new pads. Also looks like that square block wore into the bar a bit so the bar would need some love so it rides straight. Is that all the work I would need to do? The guy selling the dozer never noticed the loose equalizer bar and said I shouldn't worry about it if I'll just do 'normal' dozing. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that...

  4. #4Nige2022-04-23 17:09

    In other words he couldn't be bothered to fix it....... To replace those blocks will probably require new ones to be fabbed using measurements from the old ones, probably from the "good" side.

  5. #5Shimmy12022-04-23 18:24

    There is a special place for these guys. Saw this today. Not mine, lol.

  6. #6Vetech632022-04-23 18:34

    LOL

  7. #7Cmark2022-04-23 18:45

    Edit, Double post

  8. #8Cmark2022-04-23 18:46

    The equalizer bar should have cup-shaped pieces of flat bar welded on either side to sit in the rubber pads. They are probably worn off and will need fabricating. You can just see the start of them in the parts drawing.

  9. #9Shimmy12022-04-23 19:03

    .

  10. #10Nige2022-04-23 19:37

    If he could turn it around 180deg there’s another half a bush not even touched yet.......

  11. #111466IH2022-04-23 23:11

    Not even gonna lie, that is honestly impressive. Must be on a boom cylinder. The slightest tension on that could have made for a really bad day. On another note, how bad is the rest of the machine lol

  12. #12John C.2022-04-24 13:55

    I don't know about the new breed of Cat parts people but when I was working on a lot of D8H and K machines, the parts guys looked those bolt blocks up and gave me the number and sold me the parts. I would cut the damaged ones out with a carbon arc. It can be done with a gas axe but you had better be wearing plenty of leather.

  13. #13Nige2022-04-24 14:20

    Not shown on the illustration but the Part Number is there if you happen to realize what they are.......... 5M-8836 is the frame crossmember for the E-Bar support. I'm guessing that the "block" is actually the 5M-8834 Plate - Qty 4. A better illustration from a different tractor model........ Ref #17, Qty 4.