Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2015 Hitatchi 50U

Rick Evans · 2021-10-02 21:17

I have a Hitatchi 50U with 5100 hrs on it. I will randomly get a E1100 code saying engine or engine related parts are abnormal. Thats a pretrty vague statement. Is there anything common to look for? It has regen but I have never heard it actually go into regen for the 300 hours or so I have ran it. Runs flawlessly otherwise. Whe the code come up it goes to 1/2 power limp mode. Are there issues with the regen particulate filte? I don't even know where to start, I am a retired Toyota technician. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks looking at things a little deeper I have a code 1105 and 1108 and I can't find anywhere what they mean

Replies10
  1. #1mg23612021-10-03 05:41

    Welcome to HEF Rick ! Yes, 1100 is just an indication that there is an engine problem and then it derates the engine power. Usually you need diagnostic software to get to reason for the 1100 to set. However: 1105 - Exhaust Filter Differential Pressure Sensor Error 1108 - Exhaust Filter Gas Inlet Air Pressure Sensor Error Both codes are for the DPF Delta sensor. The DPF differential pressure sensor is mounted above the exhaust aftertreatment system on a bracket that should be bolted to the back of the block/head. Go into the monitor's service mode to see if any other codes are there. Press and hold the menu button (far left button). Key on until bulb check complete. Release the button. Then use the same button to get into the menu. Scroll to Trouble Code Record and press select. Post all codes. Lets hope it did not set a 3719 code. If there are any 3719 codes (you won't see this code without diagnostic software) then a forced regen will be necessary.

  2. #2Rick Evans2021-10-03 06:19

    Bingo, I am positive you are on to the problem. Sounds like you know your stuff! I did get into the service menu on the display and that’s how I got the 2 codes 1105 and 1108 I guess this could get expensive. I read somewhere that the diesel particulate filter is only good for 5000 hrs. I am at 5100. Is this something I could replace? Would you know how to force the machine into regen? And could that possibly fix it? I am going to have to fix it some how. What about bypassing the system? It is only a personal use machine on my own property. I see some cheap laptop type scan tools for sale but I doubt they are any good. Is there one you would recommend? Sorry for so many questions but I can’t thank you enough for the help you have given me already with those two codes! Do you know if that Dr ZX software and plug is any good? It looks like my machine has a 9 pin port but I dont see that connector on the tool/software for sale online. Is there another diagnostic port? You mentioned that I should hope that there isn't a 3719 code, and that forced regen would be required."Do you need software to do a regen? Thanks again, really appreciate your help.

  3. #3mg23612021-10-03 06:40

    On that unit I think it is 3000 hrs. It may or may not be plugged, but I wouldn't replace it. I would have it professionally cleaned. Much less expensive. I do not know what would work on that. I think it is the J1939 standard so any heavy duty scan tool should show the codes. Do you have a 9 pin diagnostic connector near the battery? It will require the dealer. If the DPF is cleaned then there is some resetting of information in the controller that needs to be done so the ECU knows it has a cleaned/replaced DPF. Do note that some diagnostic software's out there have the ability to perform the necessary regens.

  4. #4Rick Evans2021-10-03 07:01

    awesome, so is it possible that a forced regen could alleviate the problem? Yes I have a 9 pin connector by the battery. I find it odd that the issue isn't there all the time. I ran the machine for an hour the other day and it was fine. Is it possible that these sensors are dirty, and tripping the codes? It sounds like you have allot of experience. I have 35 years into Toyota's and sure wish my mini x had a ODB2 plug, lol Emission control devices and diesels are not a good mix, I have heard nightmare stories about regen fires and other headaches.

  5. #5mg23612021-10-04 05:05

    Then it should have the J1939 standard protocol. These two could be related. If you had diagnostic software you could watch those readings and check cold engine off readings and wiggle wires to look for changes. Those units have a history of DPF/EGR sensor failures and issues with their connectors. If your DPF was plugged I would think you would be in a permanent state of derate and it would have set a 3719 code which would require the 3 hr forced regen (we call it a DPF recovery) after the root cause was fixed. I sent you a PM.

  6. #6Rick Evans2021-10-06 17:24

    Hi Paul, Yeah let me know what happens with that JD 50G you have coming in if you don't mind. Have you ever seen diesel additives help a situation like mine? I will see how long it runs before the code pops back up, but I ran it for a good 1/2 hour yesterday at full throttle and nothing. I have some work for it not this weekend coming but the following one, so I guess I will find out then. Do you think I can still run it in a state of derate if I really have to? It feels like it's at 1/2 power, but I have to keep feeding a fire pit with some big pines I took down, (lots of them) Obviously I have to fix it, and I don't mind spending the money on it to do so. Maybe this is why the previous owner traded it in to a trailer dealer, who traded it to me for my 2014 Case 580N I think he got the better end of the deal at this point. Thanks again Paul, your help is so appreciated.

  7. #7heymccall2021-10-06 18:10

    Here's what I'd do... Find the inlet air pressure sensor. On most stuff I played with, the sensor is remotely mounted. To be remotely mounted, there will be a tube going from near the EGR inlet to that sensor. Remove the tube and ensure that it's free of carbon blockage. Check the port too. On my ISB and Cat C9.3, carbon will build up in the tube and port, preventing the sensor from measuring pressure. Where it's at on your machine, I dunno.

  8. #8heymccall2021-10-06 18:21

    Couldn't find a 50u book. Used Deere 50G. The tubes are circled. Usually only the dirty side (inlet side) is carboned up.

  9. #9Rick Evans2021-10-06 18:24

    SWEET! thank you, I will dive into it. JD 50G is same machine

  10. #10Damien Kaluza2022-02-22 05:46

    If you'll have any more problems with DPF/DEF system let me know. Might help u out