Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2015 Qsb3.3 Smoke Cloud under high load

Tb's · 2024-12-04 09:57

Hi all, 3.3 Cummins in a JLG Telehandler. Everything working as it should until occasionally at high load with multiple functions being used it will throw a huge cloud of white smoke and lose most of its power. The fuel filters have been changed recently. Small puff of white smoke on startup, otherwise running very clean until smoke cloud. First thought was water in fuel but filters were just changed. I will check to see if coolant has dropped after running a bit more. Maybe egr issue? Help appreciated, thanks.

Replies12
  1. #1Simon C2024-12-05 22:11

    I changed the front seal on one of your type engines found in an Ammann Packer. Have the B3.3 and QSB3.3 CM2150 Service Manual on CD. It is Bulletin 4021540 10-September-2012. If this is of any use to you, private message me. Otherwise wondering if some kind of coolant problem hitting hot exhaust. Hard to say when not there. Simon C

  2. #2Tb's2024-12-20 16:50

    I’m leaning more so towards fuel than coolant now. Romped on it for a while after filling the fuel filter with stanadyne. Replaced fuel filters. Ran the machine from a Jerry can of diesel to isolate tank issues. Unhooked the exhaust from the turbo. Ran with no air filter. Trying to eliminate every option. The Crand Case Ventilation unit had some water in it. Also ran it without the CCV filter in fwiw. After all the romping and smoking the coolant has barely dropped. I’m going to try to post a video. The first time I filled the fuel filter with stanadyne and the machine was warm it seemed to help, but that was the only time. Bad injector? Or injector sticking open while under high load?

  3. #3Tb's2024-12-20 17:00

    Here is a video of it from today. Waste gate flutters as it dumps smoke. I don’t let off throttle it happens on its own. If I stay on throttle it will keep stuttering smoke. Usually around 70% throttle with multiple piston-in functions at once to trigger it.

  4. #4funwithfuel2024-12-20 18:24

    It looks and sounds like fuel starvation. Was this filmed running out of alternate fuel source?

  5. #5Tb's2024-12-20 19:00

    Hi, no this is the main recurring issue I am troubleshooting, this was on the main fuel tank. What could cause the starvation other than things I have checked previously? Fuel pump?

  6. #6funwithfuel2024-12-20 19:08

    Air intrusion, usually from dry rotted hoses, cracked banjo seals and bad seals on aftermarket fuel/water separator bowls. Starvation could be trash that got in the tank. I've seen everything from grass, sand, plastic bags, chains , if it'll fit in the filler neck, it might wind up in the suction line. Depending on where you are and ambient temps, you might have a tank of #2 that is waxing or gelling in low temps, that otherwise wouldn't if filled with #1. Fuel lines might have collapsed internally. The inside might be getting mushy from fuel exposure. I'm assuming that you're not generating any error codes?

  7. #7Tb's2024-12-20 19:16

    Yeah, no error codes. We took bad fuel out of the equation by running out of a Jerry can so it that also would eliminate line from tank to pre filter.

  8. #8funwithfuel2024-12-20 19:34

    I would unfasten each fuel line from the pump back to the tank, 1X1 . Blow through each line by mouth to get an idea what kinda restriction you feel. The other thing i would do, on the fuel pump should be a small pwm valve with 3 torx screws holding it in place. That is your fuel metering valve. I would remove and inspect the stem. There should be a fine screen wrapping around it. If the screen is full of trash or rust, you may be looking at a new pump in the near future. The common rail fuel system is difficult to efficiently diagnose. It has zero tolerance for water intrusion. The pressure is much higher and the heat generated causes significant damage immediately. Fingers crossed for a simple solution. Good luck

  9. #9Tb's2024-12-20 19:42

    I’ll take a look at those things thanks. And I would gladly fork out for a new pump at this point if that’s all it needed ha. Hopefully some junk in line somewhere. Thanks

  10. #10mekanik2024-12-20 20:39

    Can you post an engine serial number?

  11. #11Tb's2024-12-20 20:44

    ESN: 68619349

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2024-12-20 21:17

    we had some dozers that would occ blow smoke like that cat said it was moisture in after treatment system