Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2015 W900 steering pump upgrade

harry cheema · 2022-09-07 14:48

I have 2015 KW w900b. Originally it came from factory with 13,200k steer axle with 11r22.5 tires. I converted this truck into dump truck and upgraded front suspension and tires to 315/80r 22.5. Now usually I’m having weight on steer axle 14,600k with tag axle down and 17.5k with tag axle lifted. I’m experiencing hard steering while loaded on low rpms specially when backing up. Will installing stronger steering pump solve the pump. If yes can somebody give me part number. Currently my truck has PEV1816-15R101. Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1cfherrman2022-09-07 15:53

    I really don't know but I do know that my power steering pump is from a 12k axle and now easily steering 4 tandem floats on a 70k truck. Works better than the old engine with twice the size pump

  2. #2Truck Shop2022-09-07 16:07

    The pump is probably a aluminum body TRW. There are different volumes and psi ratings from factory depending on axle rating. You will have to contact KW for that. But the aluminum TRW is known to wear after so many hours, with psi lost at idle. The R in your number stands for right hand rotation.

  3. #3harry cheema2022-09-07 16:55

    Yes the pump has aluminum body. I contacted dealer yesterday but they have no clue about it. I’m thinking to install PEV2516-15R101 but I don’t know if I’m going to right direction. Will Adding biger displacement solve the problem or it can damage the gear box?

  4. #4Truck Shop2022-09-07 18:21

    The main difference is a higher level of psi at lower engine speeds, the psi at higher rpm is the same. So no it won't damage the steering gear.

  5. #5harry cheema2022-09-07 18:48

    Thanks for your advice So I ended up having two choices PEV2516-15R101(having larger displacement but same 150 bar) or PEV2516-18R101(having larger displacement with 180bar). Which one you recommend as currently my truck has PEV1816-15R101(having smaller displacement with 150bar)

  6. #6Truck Shop2022-09-07 19:38

    Personally I would install the 18R101, It's not going to hurt anything. Our fleet runs EV2516-18L101's from factory on our Freightliners, when drop axle is raised our steer axles are 15,700 plus. Usually takes 350 to 400,000 miles before pump replacement, depending on how good the driver is at backing up. I've had to replace as many as three pumps in 300,000 with some drivers. It doesn't take much to over heat the pump if a person can't back.

  7. #7harry cheema2022-09-07 19:51

    I made the decision. I’m going for 18r101. Thanks for your help and time. Greatly appreciated

  8. #8Truck Shop2022-09-07 19:58

    Welcome.