Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2016 Case excavator cx80c tracking problem

FaktorII · 2024-02-10 21:00

I’ve got a problem that keeps showing up with my tracks. Machine won’t turn when both sticks engaged. Each side works fine by its self but as soon as I try to turn slow and engage second side tracks just almost stop. If I engage both tracks straight or back all the way it will track forward or backwards. Here is the kicker sometimes this problem goes away and I would be able to feather it and turn slow. I tried to turn on/off turtle and rabbit mode. I drained the final drive motors to see if there is any metal in it and there was not just a tiny bit of metal. It does feel like the right track feels a little slower then right.

Replies8
  1. #1uffex2024-02-11 07:21

    Good day There are a number of factors that will effect turning power:- The surface that the machine is working a sticky clay will offer more resistance than a padded lime stone standing. The torque offered by the drive motors, the short tail swing will often have a undercarriage requiring more turning power than that of the standard machine. The choice of track pad will effect turning, a wide pad will make the operation more difficult than a narrow pad. The condition of the track motors can have a negative effect, a worn motor will have high leakage (Case drain) but always check the main pressure first. A leaking central joint will reduce turning power, I can post the testing procedure if you require please post a request. Many operators accept the problem assisting with the equipment to make tight turns. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2FaktorII2024-02-11 13:20

    it almost feels like one of the valves get stuck. It’s really not a turning slipping issue. If I engage left track forward or backwards at any speed by it self it work flawlessly but as soon as I introduce the right side, left almost stopes and seems like it don’t have enough power to spin the tracks. If I fully engage forward they both get power. As soon as I go down with left of right stick to turn the other side stop as well. And like I said this problem goes away sometimes and machine would act normally. If you can post a test procedure that would be great thanks.

  3. #3uffex2024-02-11 15:57

    Good day If you click on the link it should enable you to download the complete document, any trouble come back I will help out. Kind regards Uffex H2 Weak crawlers P1.pdf drive.google.com

  4. #4KSSS2024-02-11 16:34

    Do you notice a reduction in the ability to push material with the blade using both sides of the drives at the same time? If you do, I would start with the gear pump that powers the tracks, if you don't see a reduction in push power, that would suggest to me a valving issue.

  5. #5FaktorII2024-02-12 11:47

    I will try to push some material tomorrow, will let you know thanks for fast reply’s.

  6. #6mccallajmc2024-06-26 20:04

    My 2018 does the same thing. Have you found a solution?

  7. #7cherokee1012025-06-26 22:52

    Mine does the same thing. Have you found a solution? So many have had this problem I'd say it is not random but systematic. Just got it. 2021 with 400 hours, now 407. Everything seems in order except the steering. My old Komatsu PC40 has a weak motor on one side but it steers perfectly in most cases. This new CX80 not so much. Very disappointing. The old Komatsu has 100 times the hours. My steering problem also seems hit or miss but more miss than hit. The pdf trouble shooting guide supplied in this thread is a lot to absorb. It seems to do OK for a bit after a good jolt for whatever reason. I can't buy the pads being the problem. I knew I would not like the roadliner pads but they are nearly new and the price for new tracks is not in the budget aside from seeming silly. The thing has so little traction I'm very leery of getting it in a tight spot where traction is needed. I figure the only way out would be the boom. I don't like electric over hydraulic but you just about can't avoid it these days. Give me pilot controls any day. The EH is far too clever by half.

  8. #8cherokee1012025-06-27 15:00

    Raised the tracks off the ground and they function perfectly. Back on the ground, same problem as before.