Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitach zx160 lc3

Knuckleduster · 2024-02-11 14:28

Hi all, I work as a volunteer for an organisation that is restoring sections of the internal waterways of the U.K. We are charity based so money is always tight. Our large excavator has been driving me literally up the wall of late. Throttle cable was replaced due to it being shredded and nearly broken. 2 hours to get it out and more to refit with a lot of very cross words. Put the machine back to work holding a piling hammer up and moving it from one piling to another. While piling using an air compressor the machine is shut down. Then the fun started--engine would not restart until bled. Periodically it would shut down with the primer button having popped and not staying locked down. Got a new primer pump complete BUT it is handed the wrong way with the primer and output port swapped. Took primer off and transferred to old pump body and refitted. Tank emptied--cleaned out,new fuel line, new filter.Primed and engine ran immediately. When its worked for a while the engine will bog down and can stall--fires up virtually immediately. The dam thing will track onto the bund in the canal to start work but as soon as she is warm it will bog down and stall the engine when we try to walk her off the bund or do too much with the boom. I have checked all the inline filters I can find--some are missing but to no avail. going to try to cobble together an alternative outlet and fit the new wrong handed lift pump to see if the pump is the source of my woes. I`m new to land based walking excavators but used to marine engines fitted to our water based dredgers that are basically an excavator in a boat--any thoughts would really be appreciated before I drive this one into the canal and sink it for good. Best wishes Gerry

Replies55
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-02-11 23:32

    ZX160LC-3 or ZX160LC ?

  2. #2Knuckleduster2024-02-12 04:00

    I believe its a LC3. What ever we have looked at has always been a pain to get at. Have Jap engineers got multi-articulate very slim fingers? I`m used to climbing around boat engines and water based excavators which can be a challenge but this machine takes the buscuit for being a swine to work on. Its fitted with an Isuzu diesel and throttle is controlled by a stepper motor and a push-pull cable which likewise is a swine to change--thrown the Japanese swear book versions 1 and 2 in the canal--Gerry

  3. #3Diesel Dave2024-02-12 09:00

    Stepping motor and cable sounds like a ZX160 . Do you have a water separator filter ? Check for a banjo bolt with an internal filter at the water separator housing fittings.

  4. #4Knuckleduster2024-02-12 11:09

    Hi Dave , thanks for getting back to me. I wasn`t sure which model as it was owned by a demolition company before and both size panels are a little scraped and a few dents. Yes it has a water seperator and the banjo bole from the lift pump to separator has a new filter in it. This was supplied with the new wrong lift pump. As we could`nt fit the new lift pump, swapped the primer over and fitted the old pump back on. Tomorrow we are going to fit the new pump with altered piping and see what happens. I have seen a lot of posts regarding the angle sensor which is somewhere on the main hydralic pump and will be checking that while my mate rips out the bulkhead again and puts the new pump in. He like me has come to hate this machine. Why can`t they breakdown on a nice concrete slab and not knee deep in field and canal mud.--Gerry

  5. #5Diesel Dave2024-02-12 14:15

    Angle sensor ?, I don’t know of a hydraulic pump angle sensor on ZX160 or a ZX160-3 . Can you post the machine serial number or if it is not available , a picture of the monitor/ instrument panel. It would be good to try and figure out what model the machine actually is.

  6. #6Knuckleduster2024-02-12 14:26

    Will do. I`m going to the machine tomorrow to do battle once more. One thing I hadn`t realised is that there is a disposable filter in the water separator--as Ive said I`m more used to boat based excavators.None of our 3 workboats have a disposable filter in the separators and neither does my 35 yr old narrowboat running a Mitsibushi marine version of a K3 badged Vetus I will take photos and attach tomorrow when I get home. We have a film crew tomorrow turning up to film us dredging the canal--there will be a stink in the air when we drag the muck up.--great laugh

  7. #7Knuckleduster2024-02-13 10:29

    Hi Dave, just come back from playing with this machine. Bear in mind its belting down with rain and the field edge where she is parked by the side of the canal is knee deep in mud. Had a good look over machine and cleaned off some of the mud etc on the battery side of the machine and it is def a ZAXIS 160LC. I cannot find a chassis plate at all. Now as I hadnt got a driver I got into cab and fired up the engine--started easily and ran well. Tracked the digger up the field for about 20 ft then reversed her back to where she was parked--operated boom up and down many times and all seemed well, untill I let her get up to normal Temp--midway on guage, then the fun started. Tracking or as we call it walking her up the same 20ft and back again the machine would bog down to the point of stall. Similar when operating boom. I do not have a land based digger "ticket" so normally I have a driver with me.Not today. I removed the water separator and found it full of crap--sand. Spoke to our guyenor and was told that some 2 legged vermin(youths) had broken into our compound during the last long school holidays and interfered with the diggers and dumpers--sand in the tank. This I was totally unaware of. We have to have a "ticket" for the machine to operate on the waterway banks etc to say you are safe to operate and are insured. I don`t as yet possess the ticket for this machine but as only my felow mechanic was about we considered it safe to operate. Cleaned out the separator with petrol and refitted to machine--cold runs o,k, hot bogs down. I have some pics if you need them.We decided that is was unwise to strip the machine in the rain and left it as a runner until we get back to it hopefully not raining.Bumped into the BBC filming our guys dredging on the way back to the marina

  8. #8Diesel Dave2024-02-13 12:22

    Let us know the results after the new fuel primer pump is installed.

  9. #9Knuckleduster2024-02-20 13:11

    Hi Dave, sorry for the delay getting back. Been busy with a couple of groups that want one of our dredgers to buy from us and the outboard on the crane boat had got damaged, so spent some time there over weekend sorting out problems. Went to machine today with my co sufferer and between us changed the pump and took out the solid pipes and converted over to flexible fuel pipes so that we could fit the replacement pump which had outlets different to the original.ran machine up,started on the button but still bogged down when asked to work.Engine would labour and stall. Same results when excavator asked to walk or shoud I say paddle as we have had torrential rain and the field at the side of the canal is really muddy.We are now sure that the fuel system is clean but still have this bogging down problem. How does the machine know when to increase pressure to the hydraulics when asked to work. The engine revs stay constant untill the the stall so I take it there is too much load on it when asked to work. There must be some sort of sensor that deals with that. I understand that the ecu`s can have problems with bad connections etc. We were so hacked off with it today that there was talk of driving it into the canal and sinking it for good. We have had similar problems with one of our hydraulic propelled dredgers but didn`t have to deal with an ecu--good old mechanical system--moving levers etc.

  10. #10Diesel Dave2024-02-20 18:18

    From your descriptions it sounds like the engine is stalling relatively easily while just tracking or just raising the boom. You have mentioned a couple times that the issue occurs most often when the machine is warmed up. I suspect the rack in the fuel injection pump is sticking. I would suggest to perform a turbo boost test. I will try and find a test spec.

  11. #11Knuckleduster2024-02-20 19:18

    When we ran her up today to turn thr cab so that access to the top didn`t have us wading in thick mud, the engine didn`t sound happy. running poorly and after we let her idle for a few mins the exhaust note changed and was back to normal. Turned the boom around and it struggled. Anyway pulled the pump and fitted new one. Engine fired up properly settled down into a steady tickover--accelerated under throttle control smoothly BUT as soon as we tracked her it bogged down and tried to stall, likewise when we played about with the boom. Only managed to turn it back around by slowly operating sticks. Engine still cold. I now have the manual--been hunting for it amongst the various manuals at the marina site where we are based--found it at home buried (like the machine should be) under a pile of engine manuals for the various pieces of plant and boats we possess. Was Going to access the self test diag that is on the machine on Thursday but the weather here is about to turn nasty again with gales and even more heavy rain forecast for the next few days. Our safety protocols forbid us to lone work so I have to tie up with another person to trudge up the canal for half a mile to get to where the machine sits , not normally a problem but with gales and heavy rain forecast its not safe as the canal is tree lined and during gales we have a lot of fallers.

  12. #12Simon C2024-02-21 12:05

    Have you checked all the battery and ground connections. All systems need good connections. Have you tried running the unit off of a Diesel Jerry can straight into first filter. Have the filter connections been blown out in case of a blockage. As Diesel Dave said, is there good boost pressure. Does it have a banjo fitting with internal screen as previously mentioned. Some simple things to check out. Simon C

  13. #13Knuckleduster2024-02-21 14:37

    thanks for the reply. Tank cleaned--new fuel hose from tank--new lift pump fitted and pipes modded to take into account of connections wrong handed.--water separator cleaned out--full of crap.new fuel filter fitted. the new pump came with one internal screen. all others missing anyway. There was a lot of crap in the tank but put that down to the change from red diesel to standard fuel station diesel. Both of our land based diggers have to be run on "white" diesel now due to changes bought about by Government. Our 3 boat based diggers can carry on running on red diesel which carries a lower fuel duty and are running correctly Have come across boaters who have run for many years on red diesel who have changed to "white" diesel for some reason which is available from all filling stations and have had all sorts of running problems with engines after a while using white diesel. There appears to be a sediment in boats fuel tanks that had become dislodged after the switch over. Narrowboat tanks are built into the vessel at manufacture--mine is 33 years old and runs like a charm with about 4000 hours on the clock--marinised Mitsubishi K3 dunper engine--will go on for ever and would run on any old crap.Was going back to digger tomorrow but storms,violent rain and high winds are predicted tomorrow for a day or two and it would be too dangerous to even get to the machine. Was going to go through all the supplys,earths and as far as I can test every sensor supply and earth now Ive found the manual--most sensors supply is 5v, so dodgy connections/rust etc will play havoc with what, if anything, gets back to ecu to control the machine.--Gerry

  14. #14Simon C2024-02-21 17:47

    Wondering if there is a speed sensor or crank sensor that is faulty, that if the computer cant tell how fast motor is turning will not deliver fuel. If there was it would put only idle fuel into engine. Must be a location to hook up a scanner on this unit if it has a ECU. Mmaybe there are some active and stored codes. Simon C

  15. #15Knuckleduster2024-02-21 18:06

    Hi Simon, engine will rev up and varies when diff work modes selected. Been trawling through the service manual and there is inboard diagnostics fitted so i have a start there.From what i can gather from manual all fault codes are reset as soon as you power down machine. I may have access to the pc version of DrEX diagnostic software if I need to get into it further if I can find an old pc running XP. I run a VW Tiguan that was low mileage when I bought it and had all sorts of trouble with the DPF and sensors. Bought the after market software for PC and sorted out the problems--car was used as a school run motor, so was clogged up--Binned the DPF--fitted new one + sensors and after getting a tuning company to rid the car of the emmissions FIX that Vw put on, car now runs properly and is running factory original software--best money I ever spent, so Im a fan of diagnostic software--nothing beats me where engines are cincerned even if the silly manufacturers put a glorified pc on it. Cant get there tomorrow or for a few days as weather is bad with heavy rain and gale force winds--it is too dangerous to even get to the machine.Diesel Dave has suggested to take a look at the turbo boost pressure

  16. #16Knuckleduster2024-03-05 12:34

    Hi all, sorry I haven`t been back sooner, had to travel down country to a place called Cornwall which is on the most south western tip of UK to sort out problems with my father in law who now resides in a care home--spent 3 days cussing his bank who would not change his address to the care home unless \i took him in person to the nearest branch--he is 93 wheel chair bound and the weather was attrocious.. Been back to the machine today, armed to the teeth with multimeters etc and checked the pump sensors for 5v,earth and varying output when operating machine--found all functioning--was convinced it was sensors. Anyway thought I would fire up onboard diagnostics--not fitted to my machine so was stumped.Looking at the hydraulic pump side of machine I noticed that there is an odd abs box attached to the stepper motor case held on by cable ties. So me being nosey I opend box which dumped the water that had made it way in all up my sleeve. Inside box was 2 x 24 v relays--one was corroded so badly when ioened up, nothing would move.Other one looked o.k. and measured alright on meter. These relays are fitted inline to the servo solenoids of which there are 3, with 2 pairs of black control wires coming from tthe loom to trigger them. Clearly a bodge done at sometime in the digger`s past. two of the solenoids (I think that is waht they are) are fitted on a common casting fitted to the rear left hand side of the compartment and One sits on its own in front ot that casting (square casting with 3 pipes labelled 1.2.3.) I haven`t a clue what these 2 castings are--both chassis/frame mounted with several pipes. I presume that both are solenoids to do with the pump.Pump is mounted on the opposite side of the campartment with a rectangular casting on top and 2 sensers bolted into the casting directly opposite each other and a further 2 sensors mounted lower on pipes going into the casting. This set up is completely different to my manual but following fault finding tree I presume these are pump 1 and 2 sensors. The cables going in and out of the abs box make me believe that something was mounted there before and this was a bush fix. The in and out cables follow the same wiring colours/thickness which lead me to believe that the cables are original The manual I have is supposed to be for a ZX160lc and 180 lc. It has a stepper motor and cable controlled throttle. Engine (Isuzu) runs as sweet as sugar but bogs down and can stall when machine is warm when asked to work in any mode. O.K when cold. Desperate to get this working again as we are sheet piling sections of the canal to stop water leaks and 2 of our more energetic guys where swinging 14lb sledge hammers to bang these piles it and looking at me in disgust--never mind the racket they were kicking up doing it the "OLD" way. We usually use air powered piling hammer running from a large compressor and the digger is used to shift the pling hammer from one sheet to another anf to stop the hammer falling off into the canal--which has happened. The manual I have is def wrong one but at a loss to identify correct one. Can`t find an ID plate and the control panel just has 2 meters for fuel and temp 3 0r 4 pish buttons and work mode select with 4 leds and one button marked "work mode". Key switch on seperate panel to right with HP,E,AI mode push buttons and speed control knob--all of which seem to work normally. Think I will change my name to Desperate Dan.

  17. #17Diesel Dave2024-03-05 14:20

    Hey Dan, does the monitor/ switch panel look like the one in the screenshot below ?. .

  18. #18Knuckleduster2024-03-05 14:40

    Hi Thanks for getting back so soon. Yes the panel looks exactly like the one in the screenshot.

  19. #19Diesel Dave2024-03-05 14:51

    So that is an EX 160-5 .

  20. #20Knuckleduster2024-03-05 15:01

    So the transfers or doors on the machine are wrong--they are from a ZX160 LC. No wonder the manual I have is wrong. I take it there is no onboard diagnostic as with the Zaxis machines. Thanks Dave in identifying the beast. Had the covers off the ecu compartment behind seat and checked for busted leads etc and foind a 4 pin port for diag software and a learning switch with a cover over it to stop accidental use.Will need to get trawling around for the correct manual. EX and Zx machines are a different beast. I`m still mistified about these "extra" relays I have found today--one def needs replacing as its about as much good as a teapot in a chocolate factory. Getting a pair on order from Amazon and should be delivered in 24 hours

  21. #21Diesel Dave2024-03-05 15:05

    EX160-5 also has a mechanical injection pump ,rpm controlled by a stepping motor and throttle cable to the injection pump throttle linkage. I still think a turbo boost test would be the next step.

  22. #22skyking12024-03-05 15:15

    Just found this one. Dan, do you get dirt every time you go look? This still smells of dirt in the fuel. If you've had a couple of clean sumps then scratch that. Off topic, good on ya for working on the canals. We enjoy them and did a day hire that took us past the trust facility at Calveley. This operator was very interested in the working boats there Cheers!

  23. #23Diesel Dave2024-03-05 15:32

    I am sorry, I am assuming it is a 160 size. I know the monitor / switch panel is from a EXxxx-5 . Try and get a pic of the tag on the main hydraulic pump would help to figure it out.

  24. #24Knuckleduster2024-03-05 15:33

    Hi Dave, from my experience of messing about with cars and bikes years ago to fit a boost guage then I woukd have to drill the intake manifold ,tap it and fit a boost guage--done it in the past for boy racers wanting to fit different dump valve to their gas motors so that they can show their friends and fellow nutters how much boost they are currently runnin. Never fitted on on a diesel.

  25. #25Knuckleduster2024-03-05 15:38

    I will see if I can find it after a good clean up in there with some "Gunk" which is an engine degreaser that can be brushed on left for 10mins and washed off with water. W`ont use a pressure washer as don`t want anything to get into the soil and be transferred to the canal--would be hung from the nearest tree if I let anything pollute the soil or the waterway.

  26. #26Diesel Dave2024-03-05 18:30

    If you were able to take off the covers behind the seat again, get the part number on the controller, that number would work just as well.

  27. #27Knuckleduster2024-03-05 18:52

    Hi Skyking1, we are very consious of our machines polluting the canal and the enviroment in general. Our arm of the canal is full of wildlife since we rewatered it with plenty of fish, a pair of mute swans that nest and produce offspring every year and usual crop of moorhens and Mallard ducks.It is a precious enviroment that has flourished since we dry dredged it and rewatered very slowly to enable the clay to expand and become waterproof. Just got to fix the leaks hence the piling hammer swinging on our missbehaving digger

  28. #28Knuckleduster2024-03-05 18:57

    Diesel Dave , I can get both, Planning to go to machine on Thursday to take pictures and fit water pump to our smaller JCB which is leaking out of the gland quite badly. I have threatened to put the machine out of action completely if anyone uses it before I can change the pump. It would be used if I wasn`t about.

  29. #29skyking12024-03-05 20:08

    do you use vegetable oil where possible? The big pilehammers I have used in recent years are all equipped with a natural oil that breaks down in the event of a spill.

  30. #30Joe H2024-03-05 20:40

    How about some pictures of your boat when you're not busy cursing at the cursed excavator? Joe H

  31. #31Knuckleduster2024-03-06 05:47

    Hi Skyling, piling hammer is air operated and lubrication is via a small side mounted tank which has a very small amount of the same vegy oil we use on the power pack on the crane boat. We have just purchased a new compressor with an inbuilt generator and as yet I haven`t looked at it--its a screw based compressor so we don`t have to have the air tank tested every 12 months.

  32. #32Knuckleduster2024-03-06 05:51

    Hi JoeH do you want pics of my boat, or our workboats--at the moment have 3. Getting rid of one of them to another society to enable them to do their dredging. That particular one is the uglyist thing you have ever seen--looks like a ww1 drednought. I personally hate the thing slightly more than this excavator thats driving me nuts

  33. #33Knuckleduster2024-03-06 05:53

    Having trouble finding a manual for a ex160-5 anyone got a link please

  34. #34Joe H2024-03-06 10:53

    Both, but mostly your long boat. Joe H

  35. #35skyking12024-03-06 10:58

    It is indeed long, but the class is narrowboat.

  36. #36Knuckleduster2024-03-06 12:31

    Hi Joe H, I will post some pictures of my boat "Soberano" sitting on her mooring on the arm I am working on also Workboat Diana which is a narrowbeam,spud legged dredger and has recently gone back into service after a full rebiuld including engine (Lister air cooled JP2) and Workboat Louise which is a Hiab equipped multi capable boat base on a 1922 beeet boat. As soon as I can get that crazy excavator sorted out I will be fitting a Mercry Mariner 75HP long legged outboard on her--lot of work. That is my favourite boat and have spent many hours working her and pushing her about with a bantam style 16FT tugboat. Pushed her some 100 miles up the Grande Ubion Canal with a really good boat crew from wher we got he,r to her home base at Cosgrove. You learn by experience how to control a boat going through 97 locks--great fun. Is there a gallery on this forum to post pics? for others to view. As you can tell I really enjoy the canals--I played as a kid all aroung the canals in the heart of U.K. called the black country--it refers to heavilly poluted area due to the industrial revolution in U.K. Now I`m retired I have come full circle and back to the canals--much like a kiddy in a candy store.

  37. #37Knuckleduster2024-03-06 12:50

    Yes its is classed as a narrowboat--42ft long and just over 6ft wide. Mine is a semi traditional boat where there is room to steer at the stern and some seating in a semi enclosed steel area. Traditional narrowboats have a small stern area and no seating. Other styles are "tug" which has a flat deck area infront of cabin and cruiser stern which has a flat area behind the cabin. Nearly all are powered by diesel engines although some are now being made with a hybrid system--diesel and electric and other one are true electric boats. We are putting in some charging points now for electric boats much to the disgust of the traditionalists. I don`t care what they think--all I want to do is keep the canals repaired as much as possible and keep an important piece of U.K. history alive for all to enjoy. None of us are paid--we do this for the love of the canals and we do not know the work NO. We rebiult an accomodation bridge for the land owner to use accross our canal arm and was told "You will never do it"--we proved them completely wrong and gave gad it certified for farm traffic (combine harvester and fully loaded seed hopper at 45 tons) We over engineered at somewhat and the load capacity is some 100 tons plus. All we had to start off with was a huge pile of soil,rock and stone. Dug it out and found the canal bed,approach walls al in terrible state--I personally rebuilt the approach walls, towpath walls etc and enjoyed doing it.

  38. #38skyking12024-03-06 13:08

    That sounds like fun, in good weather. The little day hire was 35 feet and well suited to our needs.

  39. #39skyking12024-03-06 14:30

    I ran ahead on the path to take drive-bys of my crew.

  40. #40Knuckleduster2024-03-07 12:04

    Been up to the cursed excavator today to take some pics for Diesel Dave to identify which beast we have. Have took couple of pics of my boat as I passed the mooring. Also have pics of Dredger Diana and the back end of workboat Perseverience 2. Tried to get pics of workboat Louise which was loading and unloading 1ton bags and was told to S--d Off--normal canal boat terminoligy to go away. Will post them after I run them through programm to reduce file size as my phone camera creats huge files and usually get slung back unless I reduce size. Told the guys operating Louise to get rid of as much weight in stern hopper so that I can get the current outboard off and take measurements to fit the Mercury 75hp on to the transom if I ever get this cursed excavator fixed.

  41. #41Knuckleduster2024-03-07 12:21

    Looked at your video and boat is a hybrid. Has a tug front end and a cruiser stearn--usually made for dayboat hire--seen a few of them. We have a hire firm only a couple of miles from us at Cosgrove and as Lock 21 is the first one they meet after taking charge of boat, we see all manner of dings,bouncilg off the gates etc at our lock. Lots of shouting and swearing in the air come hire season--gives us plenty of amusement--been there done that a long while ago. Occasionally we have to interfere when inexperienced crews either get the stern on the sill and as the boat drops with the water level changing, the bow drops dangerously close to sinking the boat with the stern up in the air..Or the other one is that they dont appreciate the the correct operation of the paddles in the lock gates., which ones to open and which ones to close to go up or down a level via the lock. They sit there amused and mistyfied when the boat in the lock doesn`t go up or down because the water level hasn`t changed. Polite and clear instruction from one of us idiots usually help them out of their troubles and after they are out of earshot a good laugh helps pass the day. They will learn--I had to.

  42. #42Knuckleduster2024-03-07 12:38

    Hi, been up to the machine today and done as you said. Couldn`t find a tag on main pump--found numbers in the castings at the bottom edge of pump. Anyway dived into cab pulled the covers off, Removed a steel bracket to reveal the ECU. On the side of ECU was a tag that said EX150-5 and number after it as 0400. Have a pict of it. So our machine is not a ZX160 at all but I take it and older EX150-5 which was sold to us So the machine is a 15 and not a 16 ton machine. Found a spec sheet with phots on net and it showed the hydraulic side of machine and identical to ours and also cab and instrument panel. I will post photos later on as I`m preping for a Trustee meeting tonight (same as a board of directors). My wife and I are Trustees of the organisation and have a meeting once a month to cheww the fat over with the other loonatics (Trustees) Is the EX150-5 the same as the EX150. Found manuals for EX150 but nothing on the -5 version and its not clear if the manual covers our model.

  43. #43skyking12024-03-07 12:59

    Our rental agreement specifically prohibited us from locking through

  44. #44Diesel Dave2024-03-07 13:13

    The EX150 was first produced in 1987, a simple animal with very limited to no electronics. You will need to find manuals for an EX150-5. I believe in some markets ,Hitachi tagged it a EX160-5 .

  45. #45skyking12024-03-07 19:30

    Also eactly like our straight JD120

  46. #46kayndirect2024-03-08 15:27

    this is for zx160lc-3 models manuals Hitachi ZX160LC-3 ZX180LC-3 ZX180LCN-3 Technical and Workshop Manual – Machine Catalogic Hitachi ZX160LC-3 ZX180LC-3 ZX180LCN-3 Technical and Workshop Manual, PDF Download, quality images, printable pdf, Hydraulic and Electrical Diagrams PDF. machinecatalogic.com if you need others search or contact with seller

  47. #47kayndirect2024-03-08 15:43

    If you check the last comment, I sent it there

  48. #48Knuckleduster2024-03-10 09:17

    Hi, Ive been nosing around and found a manual for the EX150-5 on ebay. Sent a download link and now owner of the correct manual--sitting on the laptop I am currently using. The cost was really cheap--£9.0 GBPounds which is really cheap for a manual these days. Found a couple of relays strapped onto the stepper motor in a not too waterproof box. One of the relays is corroded so badly that its just a rusty mess. These have been inserted into the lines that go to what looks like a pair of control valve/solenoids that sit in the far left of the compartment to the left of the main pump.Obviously either a lashup or bodge from days gone by There appears to be 2 bontrol cables coming from the engine loom that both have 2 black wires--going to as far as I can tell the coils of these relays. What they do I have no idea except one relay is toat or should I say rust. Have been reading up on leak test of turbo. From what I see there is no intercooler on this engine so it simplifies things inc pipework.--will be fitting new relays Tuesday and looking at turbo. One thing I found stressed in manual was that after changing the control cable which was badly fraid we should have performed an engine learning operation--didn`t know--didn`t do. Tomorrow will have a relaxing day putting on water pump on our small jcb digger--heaven.

  49. #49Knuckleduster2024-03-10 15:42

    Took our boat out last Sunday for a meander up the canal. Mainly as a shakedown after putting a new drive plate before winter. Easy job--after packing the stuffing box with as much grease that you can pump in there, before disconnecting the propshaft and sliding it backwards to give enough room to yank the gearbox out. Bell housing nuts must have been tightened by a Gorilla. Old drive plate springs were little more that bits and rattling at low revs like a tin of nails. A couple of hours and all done--nice result,quiet running and better direction change and smoother take up of drive. Chugged up the canal about 2 miles--turned her around without hitting anything--even had an audience. Usually when I have an audience, I bounce the bow or the stern off the towpath--never when there is no one about. Narrowboats are made from strong stuff so a little tap now and again at slow speed is normal. Mine tips the scale about 20 tons , one of my workboats is around 44 ton unladen--have had 20 tons of MOT TYPE 1 ballast on it doing towpath repairwork in the past. Like boats--hate Hitachi excavators!

  50. #50Knuckleduster2024-03-24 18:09

    Diesel Dave, have exhausted my attempts at getting this cursed excavator to run correctly. Went to it last week and did a turbo leak test--no leaks found, turbo spinning up nicely, a little axial end float present, no sideways float so turbo presumed to be servicable. Went back to the little JCB excavator and ran that up after water pump changed to check its o.k. and moved that into position to do some piling.Problem is it hasn`t got the reach of the Hitachi. Bought Dr Dx and lead but on installing it laptop went nuts and shouted at me--got virus in it.--thiis is what you get from buying lead and software from ?china. I can cope with the "virus"as what is in there appears to be an old lame one.Pity, I gave away an old laptop that a mate wanted to reprogramme some walki talki s for a scout group to use. Needless to say he has moved away. Do you know of anyone who has a decent copy of dr dx I can beg. Confirmed ID is EX150-5.Been out today pushing our 44 ton craneboat 6 miles up the canal with a 16ft tugboat--in the wind--dam thing was trying to go sideways at times. Back there tomorrow to help change 2 water extraction pumps that take water out of the river to top up the canal--they weigh about 500kg each and the Trust that runs the canals employ contractors to fit these pumps and we have the only craneboat that can lift these things into place from thr canal.Back to the Hitachi on Tuesday

  51. #51skyking12024-03-24 20:34

    my recollection on the throttle training was to push the button and then operate the dial to the high stop and back, I think at least twice. The button is on the computer behind the seat and it has a guard over it.

  52. #52Diesel Dave2024-03-24 22:31

    Engine Speed Learning procedure from the Deere 160LC Operators manual, see screenshot below. If engine learning is successful the throttle lever on the injection pump will hit the low idle and the high idle stops. .

  53. #53Diesel Dave2024-03-25 08:39

    Just to clarify , there is no low idle stop . The throttle lever on the injection pump will hit the high idle stop only when HP mode is on and active.

  54. #54Knuckleduster2024-03-26 16:30

    Given the cursed digger a rest today, turned my attention to the onboard excavator on the 54ft dredger that we are passing onto another restoration group.My mate got the propulsion diesel running after changing the fuel pipes, but was unable to get the hydraulic power pack running that runs the excavator--nice little 4 pot cummins.To cut a long story short lost the feed from the key switch to the starter solenoid. Didn`t bother trying to find the break--just ran a new cable from cab to engine bay and she fired up instantly. Excersised the hydraulics--everything ran well. The guys are coming next month to go over boat in detail before we shove the thing down some 100 miles with our Tugboat and it`s bye bye Perseverance 2.--one less to worry about.Only trouble is we have got to unload all the crap stored on it and find somewhere to put it.

  55. #55Knuckleduster2024-04-26 03:40

    Hi all, haven`t been around for a while--long covid hit again with avengence, so have been recovering and getting strength back. There has been developments on this digger. Found and obtained a clean copy of dr dx which had to be remotely installed by company bought from. Didn`t like the thought of that so put the software on clean fresh copy of Win 10 on a clean laptop using Macdonalds free wifi. Didn`t want anyone having access to my network at home installing software remotely. Anyway hooked into our digger and after several test runs software said everything o.k. no fault codes. Went back to basics and went through fuel system again. Found yet more crap in tank drain even after washing tank out completely. Pulled fuel system down from tank to pump and my college found a leaf jammed in one of the bavjos where ther should have been a filter. Tank is now out of the machine and about to get blasted with a pressure washer to completely clean it out and reinspected with a boroscope. One thing I found before we tore it down was that I could get the machine to run correctly so long as I ran it at half speed. Any increase of the speed control and it went back to being a pain and stalling engine. I ran machine for 3 hours at half speed and managed to get it to work,track,dig a hole in the farmers field and fill it in. By the way DONT use software from chinese companies as they are full of viruses with keyloggers embedded in them that steal passwords etc--thats why got a copy on a clean laptop and used local Macdonalds wifi to install it. Best wishes to all, will post hopefully with result in about a weeks time--back up to digger next Tuesday to fit tank and reset machine up. Gerry