Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2016 CAT 289D – AC Problem

Louis 3 ยท 2024-07-02 16:45

My AC recently quit cooling. Fan runs, but now blows hot air. AC switch for cool is on and temp control is set to cool and AC fuse in cab is good.. I gauged the refrigerant lines and get a static pressure of about 110 PSI. Easy to turn compressor by hand, but clutch is not getting 12 volts. I checked both high and low pressure switches and both tested closed. Is there a relay I need to test or replace? If so where do I find it? Any guidance on a nextstep or a wiring schematic would be greatly appreciated. My VIN is TAW04913.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2024-07-02 16:48

    Check your messages.

  2. #2FLYWHEEL PRIME2024-07-02 20:24

    I've got a video in this forum of same year and model with motor out that shows compressor wiring run + lineset routing as well.

  3. #3Louis 32024-07-04 12:22

    I very much hoped to solve this problem without a second request, but find myself unexpectedly backed into a corner. From the schematic I drew a simplified diagram of the circuit that powers the AC compressor clutch. Troubleshooting led me to the temperature switch that is connected to a capillary tube in the evaporator coil. This switch tests open circuil and when I jump across it my AC compressor engages. I purchased a new switch (504-5979) from my CAT dealer, but it too tests open and does not allow my compressor clutch to engage. I am not accustomed to receiving defective OEM parts from CAT, is that a possibility here? If this switch is supposed to be normally open I do not understand how this circuit would work.

  4. #4heymccall2024-07-04 13:49

    You've received a defective part.

  5. #5Louis 32024-07-04 13:56

    The odds of this seemed slim. My problem caused by a failed switch and then a new in the box OEM replacement that tested the same. Oh well, first time for everything I guess. Thank you for the assistance. Back to my CAT dealer tomorrow.

  6. #6kwhap2025-08-29 14:27

    could you please send me the 289d a/c schematic? Thanks

  7. #7Nige2025-08-29 15:21

    You'll have to supply a Serial Number to narrow it down. I see a dozen different different models of 289D.

  8. #8kwhap2025-08-29 16:03

    taw03283

  9. #9heymccall2025-08-29 16:14

    Simply jumping the two inline terminals will bypass that tstat.

  10. #10Nige2025-08-29 17:09

    Check your message inbox.

  11. #11heymccall2025-08-29 19:19

    Inline terminals on the Tstat, that is. Black must be grounded. Conect the two at red together.