Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

287C RH Joystick, changing from button to thumb wheel?

weareweird69 · 2024-07-02 14:11

I’m really hoping Nige will chime in here. My 287C has standard flow, single speed, with the buttons for the hydraulic auxiliary control. I’d love to have the thumb wheel to use the grapple or brush hog a lot easier. Instead of just stabbing the button to get things to move and spiking pressures when I don’t need to. Does anyone know if I’m able to swap the joystick from button to thumb wheel without any hassles other than changing the whole Joystick out. Which I wouldn’t mind since it’s all gooey from being old. I looked around but couldn’t find any info on changing them out. Didn’t know if the auxiliary solenoids were different. Thanks!

Replies22
  1. #1weareweird692024-07-04 19:07

    @Nige

  2. #2Nige2024-07-05 05:07

    Post a Serial Number. This might take some digging.

  3. #3weareweird692024-07-05 06:43

    MAS00328 I’ll get the WHOLE number here in a bit if you need it.

  4. #4Nige2024-07-05 08:09

    That's fine. Only need the last 8 for parts & service information. Well the electrics are plug & play. All 3 handle options plug straight into the same machine harness. Also the software in the AUX ECM is the same for every option so nothing needs doing there. Time to move on to the solenoid valves..........

  5. #5weareweird692024-07-05 08:39

    I’m gonna owe you a beer or something if you get it all figured out! I wish I had the ability to access the info you do.

  6. #6Mark2502024-07-05 17:01

    if you go through with the conversion you have to change the right hand joystick from button to proportional in CAT ET

  7. #7weareweird692024-07-05 17:43

    I can likely have that done. There are a few mechanics floating around with ET. If they won’t. I’ll just have to buy it all. Haha.

  8. #8Nige2024-07-05 17:52

    Thanks Mark. I knew there was something I was missing…..

  9. #9weareweird692024-07-05 20:18

    So that’s the only change that needs made? The joystick then the setting in ET?

  10. #10Nige2024-07-06 05:43

    To the best of my knowledge and from what I can see the control valve does not change. Maybe Mark can confirm that.

  11. #11Mark2502024-07-06 16:59

    NOTE: The auxiliary solenoids are proportional solenoids; however, they may function as ON/OFF solenoids

  12. #12weareweird692024-07-06 17:56

    Ah. So they are “the same”. But it all depends on what the ECM says they need to function. Correct?

  13. #13weareweird692024-09-01 14:12

    I finally got myself ET, and am thinking about pulling the trigger on doing this... Being that my machine has 2 buttons on the RH Stick, would buying the joystick with the extra two buttons make any difference to me? My machine isn't optioned with the Aux 3 and 4 on the RH Joystick, so there isn't any way to make use of those buttons right?

  14. #14weareweird692024-09-08 20:52

    @Nige can you tell me what auxiliaries my machine is supposed to have? MAS00328 I don’t know how to look it up, if I’m able to do it myself, where can I do that?

  15. #15Nige2024-09-09 05:29

    Do the work tool hydraulic connections on your lift arm look like this.?

  16. #16weareweird692024-09-09 06:42

    They do, I have the “standard”. But I’m curious to know which electrical auxiliary I'm supposed to have, 1-8. I have the left trigger 7, and console switch 8. I’m trying to figure out if I should have any others. I was trying to use a power rake the other day and had to change the plugs on the solenoid of the rake to get left and right and I had to use the console switch for one of them and it seems a little odd to do it that way. Almost like I should have the 4 button joystick on the LH.

  17. #17Nige2024-09-09 07:46

    According to how it was originally built the LH control should look like this........... and the RH one should be the same only with a trigger in addition to the two buttons on top.

  18. #18weareweird692024-09-09 08:15

    Okay. Thats what I’ve got. Thank you for confirming that. Is adding the extra auxiliary functions as simple as changing the LH and RH joystick? Since it’s only electrical and not hydraulic? Or is that a high flow thing. A friend of mine has a 289c2 with “standard” flow and he has 4 buttons on the LH joystick, but only the roller on the RH joystick, so I assume the extra two buttons on the right hand are for high flow since they have the extra hydraulic ports on the arm. I tried finding out what came with what but I apparently don’t have those sources. :/ I’m going to be changing the RH stick to have the roller, and changing the valve function in ET when I’ve got a little bit of extra money here, and wanna make sure I make the most of my purchase.

  19. #19Nige2024-09-09 08:39

    If the connections on the arm on his machine look like the illustration below it is a High Flow machine, not standard. Unless someone has been getting creative with it, which I very much doubt........

  20. #20weareweird692024-09-09 10:16

    He does not have high flow. Thats why I’m confused on the button arrangement on the joysticks.

  21. #21Nige2024-09-09 10:37

    He may not HAVE High Flow, but with that style of work tool connections on the lift arm his machine was most certainly ooriginally built with it. Why it may not be working now I don’t have the faintest idea. If you get his Serial Number I can look it up to confirm.

  22. #22weareweird692024-09-09 11:10

    I’ll see if I can get it from him. What do you use to get this information?