I am slowly clearing some land with this excavator, and it has begun showing an engine fault code. The machine does not perform any differently when it happens, and it eventually goes away after a minute or two. I'd like to view the diagnostic codes to understand if this is a serious issue needing a fix or something I can ignore. I only use my machine 200-300 hours a year. The CAT rep said I need the CAT ET software and a subscription to sisweb. That seemed overkill to me, and I really only want to view the codes. Any advice would be much appreciated?
Welcome to HEF Scott, we can likely help you retrieve the code, what’s your serial number? Tag should be on the right side of the cab toward the front. Last eight will be what is needed.
Hi, that would be great. My serial number is FJX06046
Do you have a screen like this?
I do. I am not at home this moment, but that home screen is familiar.
Ok, press the menu button, use down arrow to scroll down to diagnostic info, hit ok button. Should come up with active and logged codes/events.
Excellent! I'll give that a look. Once I get the codes/events, I'll post them. I am assuming it's like the check engine light on a car. Some codes are an issue, and some can be ignored for a period of time without ruining things.
Could be something fairly simple
I couldn’t get into the Service window without a passcode, so I am waiting on CAT to let me know what it is. The standard factory code didn’t work.
FFF2 didn’t work?
According to sis, the service password cannot be changed.
The other service code the Cat uses is 9992.
I went to the Service category, and code FFF2 did end up working. I then got to this screen. I went into each one of the menu items and couldn't find anything that would give me a code. I suppose this is why the sales rep told me I need the CAT ET software and sisweb subscription. All which is quite expensive.
Hang in there...I bet some of these guys will have something else to try. They have helped me muddle thru some issues, too.
Try using the attachment and see where it gets you.
It looks like I do not have the Diagnostic Info menu item which is where the codes are stored. I wonder if I need an update to the machine’s system software.
I recognize that this machine display menu doesn't have "DIAGNOSTIC INFO" item??!!
When you key on, does the monitor happen to display the Part Number of the installed software.? If that's not the case then ET is the only way I know of to find it. There appear to have been a number of Monitor software upgrades since 2016 when your machine was built but without knowing what software you have now it's difficult to know whether any/all of the upgrades were already applied.
Go back and enter the 9992 password instead of the fff2.
Took some digging but I found it. Looks like a monitor software update is required.
There was a huge list of articles I came across. I'm not sure if that one was in it. I probably didn't scroll down the list far enough. Attached the complete article. Only published 5 days ago,
I wonder if the OP could push his salesman to have the monitor flashed at the dealer’s expense since the operation manual states the machine is supposed to function a certain way and a software defect prevents it from doing so?
I agree 100%. The book (downloaded on the basis of the Serial number provided above, so not generic in any way) says it's possible. Wave the article from the O&M under the salesman's nose and start givng him grief. I would...... If the OP has a trailer or similar maybe meet the dealer halfway and offer to take the machine to their shop if they agree to flash it for free.? I don't know if that's an option.
I sure wondered if that was the issue. I talked with a CAT technician today, and that was the only thing they could think. I will give this a try and post back what I find. Thanks so much for digging it up. The sales rep has been a really nice guy, so I won't be surprised if he is willing to work with me.
I have a friend of a friend who was able to come over and check the codes for me. One of the speed sensors is faulty, so the fix is easy. In the meantime, he also confirmed I need a reflash of the system. So far, I am not getting any help from CAT other than they will give me a quote to send some one out for a pricey fee. I am tempted to take that money and buy myself a CAT ET setup. Does anyone have a recommendation for a way to procure it?
Allow me to try to explain. There are two versions of ET, Customer & Dealer, and the Dealer version iis the only one of the two that will function for software flashes. The Customer version allows for diagnostics & calibrations only. ET requires hardware (a Communication Adapter & cables) and software to function. Any reasonably up-to-date laptop will run ET software. To buy the hardware on the left of the illustration below is probably around $1000 at full price. {Hardware Part Numbers that will work (oldest to newest) are 317-7484, 466-6258, & 538-5051. Each one of those numbers comes in a case with all the cables. To get a dealer version of ET software that you will need to re-flash ECMs you will be dealing with a Nigerian Prince online somewhere, with no guarantee of getting working software at the end of the transaction. Lastly you will need the updated flash files for your machine and again dealers are the only (official) method of getting hold of them. I'm not trying to put you off buying ET, just trying to set out the obstacles you will face in achieving your stated aim. I wish you luck.
Thanks, Nige. My friend has the Dealer version through an agreement with CAT. He needs to figure out if he has permission to flash my excavator since it isn’t part of his fleet. Even if he can’t I may still look into getting the customer version so I can download diagnostics. That may end up being cheaper in the end. I appreciate all the advice and help.
If he has a dealer version of ET then all that's needed is to get hold of the relevant flash files. There is no restriction AFAIK on what machines a certain ET licence number (all are individually numbered) is permitted to flash.