Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2016 d5k2

Dpsdfw ยท 2020-06-04 19:33

hey guys, a customer has this dozer and sent me codes e-1389(1) e-1389 (2) 5856-9 does anyone know what they are? I read online its def tank header that needs replacing but i dont like to throw parts at things,id rather learn and grow. Is he stuck with having to go with a cat dealer? I work heavy but rarely on cat, i read somewhere it has to be done and reset with a password? 2016 d5k2

Replies5
  1. #1CM19952020-06-04 19:35

    Welcome to the Forums Dpsdfw! I'm no mechanic but we have many great ones here on HEF so I'll go ahead and get their first question out of the way - What's the serial number? Good luck.

  2. #2Dpsdfw2020-06-04 19:42

    ok

  3. #3Nige2020-06-05 11:02

    E1389 Level 1 & 2 are warnings to the operator to do a forced regen, or so it seems. Reading the troubleshooting procedures it apparently requires Cat ET, so it appears as though the dealer is one option, or an independent mechanic who has ET would be another. CID 5856 is the machine ECM not receiving information from the aftertreatment module. Unfortunately I can't find a Troubleshooting Procedure for the D5K listed. I can send you the electrical schematic if you want to to do any continuity checking. You really need one of the N. American members that are familiar with emissions equipment to offer an opinion.

  4. #4newguy2k32020-06-06 10:42

    Def header is likely dead. There have been lots of problems with them. I don't remember if you can just replace it and move on or you need et to run the aftertreatment functional or verification test to clear the faults.

  5. #5lkmm2021-10-12 14:12

    Will this error code keep the machine from starting? Mine has the 3 same codes and wont' start.