Engine won't take more than 1/4 throttle. It will idle smoothly and run smoothly up to 1/4 throttle. It will move up and down incline, and lift with no loss of power. Tank drained and cleaned 2x New pre filter 2x. New filter 2x. Run short time with no cap. Run short time with no air filter 1.9# pressure with lift pump running and engine OFF. (Electronic vacuum/pressure gauge tapped into fuel line at high pressure pump inlet.) 1.0# pressure with lift pump running and engine ON. Fill 12 oz. water bottle in a few seconds. Doesn't that mean inlet to filter/water separator is clean? Operator Alert flash amber. (No other alerts.) No visible smoke or bad odor. Suggestions greatly appreciated. Could muffler be plugged? (I don't suspect because it happened suddenly.)
Congratulations on doing all the basics regaridng the fuel system, and quoting a Serial Number. I would suggest the flashing amber Operator Alert might be key to solving your issue. Am I correct in thinking that the panel in the upper RH corner of the cab looks like this.?
Yes, it looks like that.
Then unfortunately Cat ET is the only option to access Diagnostic Codes. That should be the next step because you really need to know what's causing the Operator Alarm. There are other optional panels that allow Codes to be accessed onboard but that isn't one of them.
Holt Cat, San Antonio, had my cat 89 days and concluded I needed a reman engine for $23,000 plus tax, due to light scratching and 120# low compression in #4 cylinder. Unable to afford that, I purchased a new 2.2 for $8,000 and transferred my intake, exhaust, turbo, muffler, bell housing and flywheel to it. (I discovered low compression was due to a bent #4 connecting rod.) Will the original ECM work with the new injectors? Taking it back to Holt is not a very good option! I forgot to mention that the common rail pressure transducer reads a steady 1.261 volts DC at idle, and 1.507 volts DC at 1/4 throttle. At 1/2 throttle it varies from 1.2-2.0 volts, going up and down with engine speed.
all depends on Part Numbers I would suspect. What were in the old engine and what does the new one have in it.? You don’t necessarily have to do that. There must be a local independent around your area with ET. It’s not limited to dealers. Has the engine ever run properly since the replacement was installed and is there some reason why you failed to include all the info above in your original post.? It’s often handy to know the full story. Makes suggesting a diagnostic path forward somewhat difficult.
It has not run properly. It runs about like the original engine, except no white smoke. New engine serial number: J2702167 Arrangement number 574-4244 Old engine serial number: C8304448 Arrangement number 506-6220 I checked that the turbo spins. I didn't realize how thorough you would be; I appreciate that. I think you have the full story, now.
I’ll have to check the differences between the two engine Arrangements. Maybe one is an upgrade from the other, or it’s a base engine vs a complete one with all the attachments, right now I simply don’t know. Were you sold that new engine as a “direct replacement” for your damaged one.? Stay tuned……. Back to the warning light. It could be something as stupid as for example the TPS needs calibrating. As a first step you really need to have someone connect ET and download what’s known as a Product Status Report or PSR. Make sure that it is saved in the optional Adobe pdf format rather than the default XML, otherwise nobody apart from the computer that originally downloaded it will be able to read it. Until we can have a look at the PSR we’re stumbling around in the dark.
The two engines........... The original 506-6220 is a 67 BHP @ 2800 RPM machine engine. You bought a 574-4244 75BHP @ 2800 RPM industrial engine. Now comes what (I think) is the bad news. The two engines are very different from a parts perspective despite both being C2.2 models. Of the inner working parts of the engines, only the crankshaft, camshaft and connecting rods are the same - everything else is different, even the cylinder block and the head. The fuel injection pump and the fuel injectors are also different Part Numbers. for that reason I see difficulties in controlling the fuel system on the replacement engine using the electronic control from the original. Can you expand on how you did the engine installation, especially from the perspective of the wiring, electronics, and sensor installation.
I spent many hours on the internet studying Cat 2.2 engines. I purchased the engine on e bay, assuming 2.2 engines were the same, except for the manifolds, fly wheel, bell housing and DPF, which I could exchange with mine. I assumed the new wiring harness and ECU would be compatible. Since they weren't, I installed my wiring harness using all the new sensors except the front speed sensor which didn't fit my harness. Instead of modifying my harness, I enlarged the mounting hole in the old sensor and used it. I didn't know anyone to ask and wouldn't have assumed anyone would be so willing to help as you have been. I will check around for someone with an ET.
Can you elaborate a bit more on why exactly the sensors would not interchange.? Different style/size of connector.? Photos would be good. I know it's shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but if you had found this forum before it may have turned out different. I would go for the ET now. At least getting some sort of a look at what the electronics are seeing it might indicate something. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about from your point of view. Maybe more expensive at the end of the day than the original dealer option.
First photo is with new sensor installed. Symptoms are the same. Second photo is with old sensor that matches harness. PDF is ET done by Holt Cat while old engine was installed. Maybe you can spot some hint in it. (I haven't found a mechanic with Cat scanner, yet.) The symptoms are the same now, as with the old engine, except the new engine doesn't blow white and grey smoke and sounds better.
Take a look in the Configuration file for the engine on pages 2 & 3. There are a few parameters in that section that it would be nice to compare with the new engine. Among them are: - Throttle Selection Status - Continuous Throttle Number of Analog Throttles - 0 Throttles Then everything entitled "Throttle #X....." - about 16 lines in total. Some of them may be selectable from a drop-down list of options using ET, certainly the first two on the list I would have thought. I'm fairly certain that there will be some major differences in electronic parameters between your old engine, which was configured as a machine engine, and the new one which is configured as an industrial engine. Additionally without knowing what Diagnostic Codes may be Active on the new engine at this time trying to diagnose anything without ET is a cr@p shoot. Regarding the engine speed sensors, they look like totally different designs. The old engine sensor is 456-4587, the new engine sensor is 481-5929. I can find no relation whatsoever between the two Part Numbers so in one or more respects they must be different in some material way. Of course that could be something as simple as the connector style and/or orientation. If the sensor is proven to work reliably then the best solution would be the installation to the engine harness of a connector that matches the one on the sensor. In fact it turns out that 456-4587 is actually used on an earlier generation of C2.2 in both industrial engines (J26 Prefix) and early-production MTL machines (249D GWR-prefix). For that reason I suspect that the difference may not be material. Again ET would quickly show whether or not the RPM signal is good.