Good evening. I have a caterpillar 259d3 serial number mc901213. Have installed new alternator and battery. Has 3 wires on it, 1 red to the battery, 1 single green and one white in a twin plug. The white has 12.5v with the key on or running but still no charge. I was hoping to maybe find a wiring diagram for the machine. Thanks in advance
Was the replacement alternator you installed OEM or aftermarket.? with the S/No I can help you with an electrical schematic. Check your messages.
Was an aftermarket. Same connections as the one I removed
Im hoping with a schematic i can get to the bottom of the issue
Have you checked the 30 and 100 amp fuses on the Right side of the engine compartment if that is where they are located. Could not find your serial number in the schematic I have. Might be a good idea to check. If your serial number starts with MC then I could be wrong. Simon C
See below. These two fuses are located on the engine bay wall near to the battery. #1 is the 100A fuse that @Simon C is referring to, #2 is a 50A fuse in your case.
Good evening all. I would like to thank all for there in put. After getting both alternators tested today it is confirmed that the new 1 is faulty and the original is fine. The issue of no charge was due to a 15amp fues that controls the throttle actuator. It was blown the other day. What I didn't know is it also supplies power to the white wire that triggers the alternator ( until i went through the wiring diagram). Basically I should of checked fuses before I ordered a new alternator. I think swapping the white wire to the other terminal in the plug has damaged the new one. At the end the machine is running and a couple of lessons learned. Thanks again for everyone's information. Much appreciated
Glad it was simple. Lots of aftermarket stuff is marginal at best, some was never intended to work, just rip you off. Glad your back up and running. Simon C