New to the site and new to owning a skid steer. Purchased this machine last year to work Hurricane Ida recovery efforts. Last week I got this error message, "2685-8 - Left Drive Motor Speed Sensor #1 Abnormal Frequency Pulse Width or Period" After doing some keyboard research is seems like this could just be a bad connection or faulty wire. Worst case replacing a cheap sensor and wiring harness. I need some direction on what I can do to resolve this issue, access the area, etc. I am by no means a mechanic but can follow direction to trouble shoot and replace. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Trying to save some money and resolve this myself. Serial # CAT0289DVTHW10658 Thanks to all replies.
HeavyEquipmentForums
See attached troubleshooting procedure. Be aware that contrary to your expectations the sensor is NOT cheap, and any wiring harness(es) you might consider replacing will be even more expensive......... It is actually two sensors in a single body with a common power & ground, and separate signal wires for #1 & #2 sensor. That's why the sensor connector has 4 wires in it. BTW your machine S/N is TAW10658, not THW.
Thanks for the reply gentlemen. I will evaluate as soon as I can this weekend and will let you know if this works.
I've run the machine for some time now since I purchased last October and I am just getting this error message now. You say the sensor is not cheap, nor the wiring harness. Any idea what I'm looking at should it have to be replaced?
No idea. You gotta dig into it. Wire, connector, sensor, impact damage, corrosion, act of God?
A new speed sensor is somewhere around $250. The sensor wiring harness might well be a similar price. Anything in a box marked CAT is going to cost more than you think. TBH the best thing you can do is go through the troubleshooting procedure step by step. This will identify the cause of the problem then you know for certain what needs replacing. As HMC said above it might be nothing more than a bad electrical connection somewhere.
Wiring harness starts from $170 depending on which one it is.
Welcome to the Forums BW! You've got some heavy hitting wrenches giving you advice - my advice would be to follow every bit of it.