Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2019 Cat 289d

Brendananderson21 · 2024-11-18 19:16

Hey, im new to skid steers I just picked up a cat 289d with 1500hrs about a month ago. Was doing gravel and noticed a couple hrs in it starts to bog down when turning or moving forward. Once I let let go rpm come back up doesn’t do it all the time but frequently when hot. Was wondering if it could be a drive issue or fuel issue not sure if it’s happened to anyone else. i plan on draining drive oil and putting new oil in and possible draining fuel tank to put fresh fuel in. This doesn’t happen when everything is cold only anfter a couple hours of running. Also if I take oil cap off there is pressure coming out no smoke a vapor anywhere put pressure is this normal. If I rest cap on it without screwing it in it bounces around but usually stays without falling. Checked dipstick no pressure vapor or smoke coming out of there. Motor runs good no diesel in oil or anything. Thanks for help!

Replies12
  1. #1Simon C2024-11-18 23:00

    Need to post your machines serial number before " Nige " tells you to. Have you changed fuel filters, Do you have any active codes on display, any stored ones. You state that when you take oil cap off there is pressure. Are you running on rotary fuel dial or with foot pedal. Cant remember if you have fuel pedal. What has been done, best to troubleshoot before operating the parts cannon. Need more info. Simon C

  2. #2Brendananderson212024-11-19 10:26

    Yeah sorry TAW14010. yes changed all filters. No active codes a couple low voltage stored codes from awhile back. I will double check and put codes in here tm but they are from awhile ago. It has both but I kept it on dial at idle. The pressure just worry’s me no vapor or smoke of any sort. I believe the issue with the motor starting to loose power when hot is a failing fuel injector from reading other post. Gonna empty tank out fresh fuel with some Archoil 6400 fuel injector cleaner. Hoping it works

  3. #3Nige2024-11-19 10:46

    Often that is not sufficient. Did you change the small screen that is part of the electric fuel pump assembly.? I would agree with your OP that you need to drain water/sediment from the fuel tank as a first step. See the attachment. Nest step is to blow the fuel feed line back in the direction of the tank. Also see this THREAD . I think it has all the info you need. I wouldn't start to deal with expensive things like fuel injectors until you are 110% sure that you do not have a fuel system restriction in one or more locations.

  4. #4Brendananderson212024-11-19 12:50

    Thank you Nige, I haven’t I will also change that screen along and blow fuel line out along with draining fuel and injector cleaner. I will let you know how I make out! Do you know anything about the pressure coming out of oil cap? I attached a picture from video of the worst of it. Unfortunately I can’t attach the video. Thank you again really appreciate ur help!

  5. #5Brendananderson212024-11-19 12:52
  6. #6Nige2024-11-19 12:59

    You cannot upload videos direct to the forum. You have to host the video somewhere else such as YouTube and link to it.

  7. #7Brendananderson212024-11-19 13:09
  8. #8Brendananderson212024-11-19 13:10

    Got it thank you. Above is the video

  9. #9Brendananderson212024-11-19 20:01

    I’ve read that these engines have recirculating exhaust gas and blow by. Could this be the reason for the pressure? I linked a video

  10. #10weareweird692024-11-24 19:15

    The video doesn’t work that you shared. Crankcase pressure is never a good thing. I’d probably service the final drives and see what the oil comes out like. It doesn’t cost much for the oil to change that.

  11. #11Deimos2024-11-24 22:11

    Try servicing the crankcase gas recirculation system. You need to replace the filter and check the PCV valve. Maybe this will help solve your problem.

  12. #12Brendananderson212024-11-26 15:45

    I did it seemed to helped! Thank You