Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2021 Bobcat T770 running out of fuel with 1/2 tank

Dodge jr · 2022-03-31 08:45

Hey all, so the title is pretty self explanatory. I’m not necessarily sure if this is an issue, I am just curious if anyone else has had the same experience. So I have a 2021 Bobcat T770 and every time I go on any sort of incline the fuel level drops dramatically. I understand gravity is a thing but this machine has a 40 gallon tank. If I’m on an incline for to long, it will read as empty (even with 1/2 a tank) and cut off. It won’t start until I fill back up or turn it around (with excavator). I assume the pickup tube is at the front of the tank but how does 20 gallons of fuel magically disappear whenever I’m on a slope. On flat ground empty usually reads as a little lower than 1/4 tank. Now I have gotten use to it and just go ahead and fill up if I’m working slopes. But one of my employees can’t seem to wrap his head around it and constantly runs the machine dry. I really don’t want to burn up the pump so I was wondering if this is normal for the machine or is there a problem. If it is a problem, I’d like to get it fixed while I still have a warranty. My old machine (New Holland C185) never fluctuated this bad on any slope. Bobcat can show 3/4 tank going on a slight downhill the 1/4 on the same hill going up. Same results with walking with a slope (high side on right vs high side on left) So I’m just wondering if anyone has had the same experience or does this sound odd? I appreciate any input/comments. Thanks in advance.

Replies4
  1. #1Rob Gunn2022-04-01 09:14

    Sounds to me like you have a cracked or broken pickup tube in the tank. If that unit is still under warranty then have the dealer fix it at there cost and time. No reason that you should have to deal with this issue.

  2. #2CM19952022-04-01 09:54

    Being a 2021 is it still under warranty?

  3. #3Dave Neubert2022-04-03 18:05

    Agree with Rob pickup tube is cracked or broken should not to hard to pull out and check

  4. #4Shimmy12022-04-03 18:34

    I think you need to be calling your dealer first off. If it isn't going to be a warranty claim, first thing you need to figure out is if the fuel sender/pickup assembly is one unit. If it is, then I agree with the others that the pickup is broke off or compromised in some way. If the fuel sender is totally separate from the fuel pickup, then possibly the computer is shutting the engine down because it thinks the tank is empty of fuel.