Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

216B2 Case Drain Line

216B2 Skiddy · 2026-07-22 16:39

Just wondering if the installation of a case drain line on a 216B2 (2009) Caterpillar Skid steer is a straightforward mod or something best left to the pros? I recently picked up a used (~1200 hours) 216B2 Cat, being new to the Skid Steer lifestyle I wasn't overly familiar that a lot of the more heavy duty attachments (like forest mulchers) needed the third case drain line. Have been contemplating throwing one on to give the machine more versatility. Its all for private use on my property and nothing more.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2026-07-23 05:00

    I think you’ll find this thread answers all your questions. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2216B2 Skiddy2026-07-23 16:41

    Awesome Nige, thanks I'll look through that thread and hopefully it helps me out!

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-07-27 00:27

    Does the machine have high flow? If not might not be able to run a mulcher.

  4. #4Simon C2026-07-27 08:47

    Don't think you will have the flow or horsepower to run both mulcher and machine. Better get the specs on pump flow and have a margin of safety for the machine to be able to move. Simon C

  5. #5Urbanengineer2026-07-27 12:26

    You may be able to run the raytree 50” low flow mulcher, but nothing large requiring high flow.

  6. #6Urbanengineer2026-07-27 20:08

    Just checking the small raytree mulcher specs, it apparently will run on 11-24 GPM flow. 1100 lb. 09 216b2, 15.6 gpm 3335 psi max. It’ll spin it, but not as fast as it can go. Some social media posts show it can do quite well on low flow. It may work great for you.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2026-07-28 12:53

    Wanna know how to ruin a skid steer? Run a mulcher on one, that wasn’t designed for one. They may work but unless some serious upgrades are made to cool the oil and keep the machine somewhat clean, it’s nothing but trouble. If it’s a once in a while thing, I have rented one, worked fine but did create some other issues.

  8. #8Welder Dave2026-07-28 21:09

    I think a dedicated high flow with larger hyd. tank and/or aux. cooler would be the way to go.