I was hoping to get some advice...…..I've got an old 59 Oshkosh plow truck with a 220 cummmins (HRF-6-B) that is losing coolant into the oil and out the exhaust in a big way. There's a wrecked truck with a running 855 for sale very close by. I was wondering what would be involved with swapping the 855 in the place of the 220? It would be nice to have more power in the truck. I realize the front mount is different on the 855. I was hoping I could fabricate them in by using parts from the wrecked truck. The 220 has a front sump oil pan which is necessary because the front differential in the Oshkosh is located where a rear sump pan would be. Any chance the front sump pan on the 220 would swap to the 855? What other items would require modification for the swap? Please excuse any lack of knowledge I might have, since I am not a professional mechanic. Any info. is appreciated!!!!
I have swapped in a couple of 855's. One in a Komatsu track hoe with a Komatsu Cummins. I thank that was a 220 but it did not have external fuel lines. The engine was a big cam 350 out of a Freightliner. Had to swap the flywheel housing and there was something different about the rear cam seal. Do not remember how but we made it work. Put a freeze plug in the back of the block? Seems like we swapped the pan also. This 350 came with an aluminum pan. The other was in a Manitowoc crane. It had external fuel lines. Kept the original flywheel housing with the engine. I remember issues with the push type clutch, adjusted with shims between the pressure plate and flywheel. Check with Cummins to see if the same oil pan gasket fits both serial numbers. If your newer engine has a stamped pan you might fab up something for the oil pump suction line. The stamped pan engines ran much lower oil pressure. If you start swapping up pumps or coolers you could run into problems. When the pan is off swap out all the cooling nozzles that have room to come out. Double disc fiber clutches do not normally hold up to over 300 HP. Hope all the belt components and fan with your new engine work. You can run into all kinds of unexpected problems. That is just the best I remember.
The NTC - 855 uses a different pan. IIRC, Would be nice to know what year and model of 855 you are looking at to start with. Depending on weather it's a small cam, early big cam or late big cam will determine the type of oil pump and external pickup tube and pan. Steel front sump pans are easy to find in a salvage yard. Big Cam II engines could have either high or low oil pressure systems. Freightliner used front trunion mount in the big cams up to the late 80's.
Thanks for all of the great info. I have not actually seen the 855 yet. It's over at a neighbors place in a 73 international. I just thought I had better gather as much info. as I could before I made the commitment to swap. A fella was telling me today that the 855's used two different bell housings. He said the 855 with the smaller bell housing would be the only one that would bolt up to the 220 housing. Is there any way to tell which bell housing the 855 had without taking apart and measuring? Thanks Again!!
If it is a 1973 vintage and original to the IH it would be a small cam, and it should have a #2 bell housing.
As far as I know it was the original engine in the truck. Does that mean it would very likely bolt up to the 220 housing? Thanks for the info!
Here is a 220 with a #2 bell same basic as 335 or small cam 350.
Industrial flywheel, What was that in originally?
I don't know but the pigeons sure liked crapping on it.
Thanks Again for the info!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!!!
I'm assuming, since the 220 and the 855 have similar size engine blocks, that the radiator for the 220 currently in the truck would have cooling capacity for the swap? Would this be correct?