Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

230lc idler issue

moonshine2 · 2019-04-12 15:03

Recently replaced idler on machine, when I received the new idler it was not the same had to remove small pieces of flat metal from the frame before it would go into frame. Got the new idler from heavyquip in Knoxville. They swear it’s the correct replacement. Had track come off twice since. JD 230lc. Anyone had an issue like this? Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1Bls repair2019-04-12 16:45

    Have you owned the machine from new ? If not some one may have replaced idler before and put shims in to take up slop. Measurements of wheels the same?

  2. #2moonshine22019-04-12 22:13

    Have not owned from new, new wheel was bigger I thought it may be due the wear of the old one. owned

  3. #3Bls repair2019-04-13 07:29

    How much bigger

  4. #4moonshine22019-04-13 16:39

    Don’t remember the exact measurement. I think it was at least 3 inches bigger. I will measure again and reply. Thanks

  5. #5Shimmy12019-04-13 20:28

    Three inches is a LOT. I don't believe an idler that size could wear down that much. Have you looked under from the idler back past the first few bottom rollers? If this idler is holding the undercarriage up off the rails, could be the reason you are throwing tracks. Are the track guides still on? Get a few pics of the undercarriage. Idler and first few rollers, left and right sides, inside and out of each side.

  6. #6Bls repair2019-04-13 21:27

    X2^^^^

  7. #7uffex2019-04-14 07:59

    Good day Attached Hitachi info. may be helpful Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8moonshine22019-04-16 09:34

    Was finally able to snap some pics and measure the old and new wheels. There is about 1 1/2 difference.

  9. #9moonshine22019-04-16 09:37

    more

  10. #10moonshine22019-04-16 09:40

    last

  11. #11CatKC2019-04-16 09:46

    I believe you need pictures of the idler 'and the rollers' to see if it's lifting the rollers up, to compare them with the other side. (Never mind. . . . you posted more pictures before I saved my post and I don't know how to delete something I've saved.)

  12. #12John C.2019-04-21 11:15

    It appears to me that you have and old set of tracks on one side and a lot new set on the other. The older side has roller flanges hitting the pin bosses on the track links while there is some clearance on the new side. The yokes on both sides are about to the ends of the track frames. Were I doing an inspection for appraisal of the machine, I would have to say the undercarriage is pieced together so that it can be sold. You have a lot of mismatched wear on that machine.

  13. #13CatKC2019-04-21 12:25

    After reading your response and 're-looking at' the pictures, you have educated me on things to look for on an undercarriage when purchasing used equipment. Thank you. I can see why you are an appraiser.

  14. #14moonshine22019-04-21 17:55

    The pics are of the problem side only, don’t know what the previous owner may have done we have had it for several years and the problem only occurred after replacing the idler

  15. #15John C.2019-04-22 10:43

    That photo of the chain going over the top of the idler bothers me some as the link is not settling down onto the idler. I think I would measure across the top of the step and then across the inside of the track links. Maybe there is just dirt under the link in the photo but it kind of appears that the step width on the idler is wrong.