Found the seal under the turntable for the PC120 is gone.. If I grease the zerk it just falls out. please tell me I don't have to split the machine to fix it?
Eh, the seals main job is to keep dust out. You should be rotating the upperstructure while greasing. What happened to the seal? Did it just fall out?
OK I won't tell you to split the machine BUT If you don't it could get real expensive.
Like Shimmy said. What happened to the seal? Did a stick come up and hit it. There is a reason I ask. People tend to over grease the slewing bearing and this can cause the "dust" seal fall out. If the slewing bearing has excessive wear you will not be able to keep the seal in. In which case the expensive part comes into play. If it just got torn out with a stick or rock it is not a big issue to replace, I have done many. We were able to buy the seal and install it. Just comes on a roll. The groove had to be spotless clean and grease free. A few dabs of Loctite 380 (Black Max) in the groove every so often and just push it into place. Use the black max to join the ends together and Robert is your Father's Brother
How old of a PC120 are you talking about? How long have you had it? How often are you greasing the thing. Here is a video showing what and how to do the maintenance.
its a 120-6 advance. Had it a few years but it is used infrequently. Not over-greased.
In that kind of use I wouldn't worry about it. The seal doesn't actually hold grease it. It holds dirt out.
I went to grease the machine the other day and when I greased the turn table the grease just fell out under the zerk, that's how I noticed the seal was gone. I remember a couple years ago the seal was sagging so I pushed it back in. Not sure when it fell out, this machine is used on a farm so couple hundred hours a year tops.
You only put a couple of pumps in each fitting and then spine the house each way a couple of times and that is enough.
I hear you can buy this seal as a length and glue it together.. Anyone have a source? Local equipment dealer doesn't have it.
I just did this on my Kobelco 115. I ordered the dust/grease seal from the dealer. I cleaned all the grease from the groove the other night and went at putting the seal in yesterday afternoon...putting that damn little rubber seal in just about broke me, what a SOB to get in there. I did get it done though and also (per this thread) used some dabs of Loctite 380 Black Max as I went around, the really fun part was working it in on the sides of the machine laying, leaning, kneeling, squatting on the tracks to get in there....
One thing I learned on the ones I replaced is DO NOT CUT IT push it back until it all fits in the groove. Your local dealer will be able to give you the part number and you should be able to find one on line cheaper.
The seal I got from Kobelco had about three extra feet and before I opened the package I confirmed it was the correct one with the dealer, I imagine it fits several machines, I just hope it doesn't come out again....
Just keep pushing it back and it will all fit in there I promise. It will actually hold itself in place when installed correctly.
I'm nowhere near being a mechanic nor do I play one on TV, but there was no chance in hell that 3 feet of that extra rubber seal was going to fit in that groove, the seal barely went in the groove without trying to cram 2" of extra seal in there..... hopefully my Kobelco is different than ones that you've done....