I went to a auction on Saturday the 11th and bought a little single axle international dump truck. For $240. of course it wasn't running. The engine was not stuck. So I returned in the cool of the next morning and tried to get it running. the saddle tank smelled of stale gas. a a 5 gallon can on the floorboard and a length of hose a electric fuel pump. installed a hot battery and attempted to start it I would run on prime gas and die. So I took of the holley 2 bbl carb. and took it apart full of gum and varnish. So that wasn't going to work. Went home and sorted through a pile of ford autolite carbs. took them apart and made two that might be OK. Went and tried it again and it ran sorta. It would cough & backfire and sputter. It was in the next county thirty miles of gravel pig trails they call roads. So I hooked my 66 GMC to the dump truck with a tow bar. The first 1/2 mile was a steep grade with twist & turns. Granny low the entire was. coughing and misfiring and blowing clouds of blue smoke. After the grade I crawled along in second gear. After about ten miles it started running better third gear. Never met another vehicle on the gravel. when I got to Ravenden springs the road is pavement. Only 6 miles from home. So I finally get into 4 th gear. and it will run faster than it can be safely steered. Slowed down and back to third. and made it safely home. The hoist works good and I will need to sort out the loose steering and give it a tune up. And it has a clear title. I has been raining 7 muddy and my little GMC got a face full of mud.
Hard to lose at that price. Worth more than that in scrap.
no not really scrap prices suck right now!!! its bringing .04 cents a pound here!!! but its a good score cause it runs & was saved from the scrap pile
The truck would weigh about 9,000 pounds. I plan to get some use out of it. I wont be scrapping it anytime soon. the 345 engine will bring $300 for a core.
nice
You the MAN Junk.....we'll call it the Resurrection. .. or Lazerus......git'r done......sporting Alot of Style there. ... you probably have more Style in your pinky than most folk in their Whole Body! You sure sniffed that one out! Nice find!
I enjoy getting some old truck tractor or machinery running again after its been sitting and rotting for a long time. I like to call it waking up Zombie,s. The auction sale gamble is a kinda hit and miss deal. you might attend dozens of sales and never get a great deal. then along comes a buying sale when there aren't many bidders and there reluctaint to buy. I think the remoteness of this auction helped keep prices low. in addition to the dump truck I bought a 555 case haybine for $100 and two 5 ft brushoggs for $50 each. There was a tractor with a loader there so I put the brushoggs in the dump truck,s bed. and pulled the haybine home with my pickup. over the years ive made a good portion of my living selling bargains I purchased at auction. When you can buy at a bargain you can make your customer a great deal and still make a fair profit.
Where are you selling your cores. For $1,200 a ton or so I want in.
Im sorry im not telling where I sell cores. it would be easy for them to get overstocked and the prices suffer. Ive been selling the place cores for a long time and I make certain they are good rebuidable engines. the international V8 engines have a quirk. the heads have to be a matched set. and certain engines sell for a premium and others are not worth scrap price. For many years there wasn't any market for the 292 Y block fords. now they want them?
That was a good deal on the dump truck. About any truck here not runing will bring close to 500.00 to many guys that dont need to make a profit on every buy by stuff at auction. The only engines that will sell around here are Ford flathead V8s. SB chevys did bring 300.00 for cores but now 50.00 is max if you can sell one at all. You have to look hard for a IH gas motor that is used around here i saw 1 last harvest on the road. I have 2 ford Y blocks trucks that i use i saw one at the scrap yard last month and almost bought it.
Cores for cast iron pipe valves like six inch and up used to be in demand don't know if they still do.
I never much liked the Y blocks. one of my first cars was a 56 ford 2 dr htp. and the 292 with the holley teapot carb. the rear main leaked the rockers didn't oil. it had blow by. It was miserable performance . six cyls could out run it. I installed a 59 300 Hp 352 interceptor engine. With a three speed stick and a 9 in 411 rear end. It was a respectable hot rod. Gave a few 327 chevys fits. The center dump Y block big truck exhaust manifolds are in big demand. When the economy falters the parts & core business actually improves. When things get tight. folks fix what they already have rather than buy a new machine.
I had a 61 F350 with a 272 that i rebuilt. It pulled the truck and its load ok but hook a trailer to it and my 69 1/2 3 speed 250 GMC would pull it and its load faster. I dont have a hitch on the ford 292 yet but time will tell. I think you can get new center dump manifolds from Speedway. You are the first person to say any thing good about a 352 but i have heared that with a little work they would run alot better.
Most of the 352,s where doggy 1/4 mile cars. most had the cruseomatic auto trans and tall high geared rear ends. Put a stick and decient gears and they where ok. The 59 & 60 352 interceptor engines had high compression and solid lifters. Of course in 61 the 390 came out and the 352 was low compression and a 2 bbl carb. I liked the FE engines lots better than the Y blocks. Find a 330 truck bellhousing and flywheel and put a FE preferably a 360 pickup engine in your truck and it will pull twice as much on half the fuel. I have a old 66 1/2 ton GMC that pulls great mine has a factory granny 4 speed.
In the process of puting to gather a cheap truck a bought 4 trucks 2 are for parts 1 has a good 360 and the other has a 391 that ran when parked. Unless the 292 craps out i will stay with it. I have a 5speed overdrive out of a L700 that i would like to use in this truck its a 63 F600. I dont care about going fast i drive it around 50 MPH but i would like to cut down on rpms.I wanted a truck to haul scrap to stock pile it then use my brothers semi and trailer to haul to the city he was scraping all so but when the price droped he found something else to do and a fire started on the farm next to his burnt the trailer up. My current pickup for the last 20 plus years is a 67 GMC . It has over 500.000 miles on it and the cab mounts are rusted off. It looks ok on the out side but its totaly worn out.
Ive did a bit of work to the old truck. my daughter in Law named it Bumble Bee! any way I power washed the dirt off the body and cleaned up the engine. changed the fuel pump and tuned it up. it runs pretty good now. still have to sort out the loose steering. change to oil and get the PCV hooked up. The weather needs to cool down a bit so this old man can work. Im planning on using the truck to haul this winters firewood. Cut the wood and throw it in the backhoe bucket then dump it in the truck and dump it at home.
Boy howdey I just love happy endings where's that auction you found your dumper at ? Do they have deals like that very often do you know? [email protected] (Let me know if you know when and where the next one is please and thank you kind sir!)