Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

240Blc Excavator wont start below 40 degrees

joyryd ยท 2019-10-09 09:20

Hi looking for some thoughts my volvo starts great above 48 to 50 degrees 40 and below for get about it. She will crank but no firing. I will crank her for a while normally on a diesel you will see smoke coming out the exhaust, but nothing.I think it has a fuel back feed problem. I put a ball valve after the water separator to eliminate that but still the same issue.

Replies9
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-10-09 09:59

    Check your preheat element and fuse. Probably not functioning I'm assuming, no error codes

  2. #2joyryd2019-10-09 12:02

    Relay is good and element works it gets hot to the touch after several minutes. No error codes. over 50 degrees it starts perfectly.

  3. #3Former Wrench2019-10-09 12:10

    How long since the valve lash has been adjusted? If out of time, no or hard start will result.

  4. #4joyryd2019-10-09 12:14

    since i have had the machine it hasn't been checked. the problem only happens when its cold. above 50 it start quick no hesitation.

  5. #5funwithfuel2019-10-09 12:42

    I can't see drain back occurring in a temp related scenario but let's troubleshoot against fuel. Do you have a fuel water separator in the swing area or is it in the pump room. If it is near the swing box, I would check the rubber hose from the tank to the filter head. From the factory, that hose was prone to failure. Dry rot and cracking were common. I would replace it since bulk hose is cheap. Next thing, the water separator bowl. Make absolutely sure you have a good bowl to filter seal. If you have the ability to gauge fuel pressure at the fuel rail, you want to see at least 65 psi.

  6. #6uffex2019-10-09 14:32

    Good day Attached may be helpful Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7joyryd2019-10-09 14:44

    The Machine has been on a remote job site all summer. I will have back in the shop this weekend. Probably going to change all the fuel lines and water separator housing. I hope it fixes it or the next thing is a espar heater. Can any one tell me where the fuel check valve is on this unit. Thanks

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-10-09 14:59

    The part number in blue. New number is 20405847.

  9. #9joyryd2019-10-09 15:19

    Thanks