Hello Everyone, Would anyone be able to positively verfy that the Hitachi EX120-3 is the equivelant of the John Deer 490E when searching for parts. Ex: Broke the windshield recently and discovered it's tough to find an EX120 replacement for less than $290 but I can purchase the 490E windshield for $215. Many Thanks in Advance, E
bump Any advice? Are the machines basically identical? Can I purchase 490E glass for my EX120-3? Thanks again, E
Not sure about the two models being the same, but if you don’t care about having the wiper, you can go to a local glass place and have them cut and install a piece of safety glass for even less than that...
Thank you Tags, Think safety glass hold up to the vibes & bumps of the machine? The original broke while the frame was in the overhead position after the machine banged down when the bucket grabbed a rock. Oh the joy of that!
EX120-3 should be the same as the 490E.
It’s seems to be working fine for the one I replaced on my EX120-2...
Its used all the time in the logging machines and they see a ton of vibration and jar.
Sounds good. Spoke with a local glass company and will bring the frame to them next week. I think the only difference being that the new glass will not have a hole for the wiper motor. Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again, E
Find a specialty glass company with diamond drills for glass and they may be able to put a hole in it.
Hi Everyone, I've received the new windshield glass, cleaned the rubber seal and steel frame completely and would like to install. 2 local companies have quoted nearly the cost of the glass itself to simply install it in the frame and I'll have to wait more than a week, all the while, we're expecting 3 days of rain... uhhg. Ok, I'm not a stranger to installing auto glass, a couple of pieces of boat glass, and some miscellaneous pieces, so I understand gentle. The rubber gasket on the EX120 is harder than other pieces I've done and the rope method is not going to work. Can anyone advise with instructions on installing? Thank you all again, E
They're tight and not a lot of fun but you can warm up the gasket with a heat gun and that helps, sometimes.
I used dish soap mixed with a little water to help ease the glass into the gasket. I used it again to ease the lock into the rubber gasket.
OK, Thank you; Hair dryer / heat gun, sounds like a good addition to the dish soap. So does the glass go into the gasket first and then into the frame or vice versa, or even half-half? I can get the glass into the gasket, no problem. I can also put the gasket into the frame, no problem. Getting both together, there's the problem... Thanks again, E
I've always put the gasket in the window frame first and then installed the glass. Does your gasket have the groove where you install the locking seal?
Hi John, No Locking Seal, Just a single piece of rubber moulding with an inside channel for the glass and another outside (narrower) channel for the frame. Have you done this type? E
Just did my JD892 glass. Same thing stiff rubber seal. Glass in gasket first start the gasket into frame and used a screwdriver to work gasket over edge. Was a challenge but worked out ok. Worked best with two people. John
The ones I've done like that I just wrap a small tough cord around the window/gasket and then start it like you mention and simply pull the cord through a whole lot quicker than working the seal with a screwdriver... the last back window we put in a 42 hotrod we couldn't find the cord and needed to finish it that night so I rummaged around and found some phone wire(cat5) and used that instead... worked ok but only because we had a new nice and flexible gasket for the rod.
@Wilson892 : Yeah, two people may do it. I was working along and supporting the class while trying to work was tiring, clumsy and risked breakage. So I stopped and came here. @Ronsii : I started with a cord but found it unwieldly and really tight, not happening, alone anyway. Maybe I'll try again with my son for the second set of hands. Thank you all, E
It does help if you got a helper but can be done lone wolf usually one guy has both hands pushing on the glass while the other one pulls the cord through... and it really helps to have it lubed up!
I've not seen a gasket without a locking cord.
@John C : Considering your last post, I looked more closely and You were right . What I thought was a moulded 'decorative' strip and should have known better, turned out to be the locking strip along the face of the rubber gasket . Once removed the front edge is much, much more pliable and I can now see that the installation as a less daunting task. I'll install the gasket into the frame as you explained earlier, lube it up real good, and start working the glass in with plastic tools. Thank you John, for that moment of your time to contend my previous statement of 'No Locking Seal..." made All the difference. Glass isn't in yet, but I'm must more confident in getting it done soon. Everyone; Your combined knowledge, insight and support have helped me keep the EX120 operating and get a lot done on our project. I have a couple of other posts and am actively needing help with and will see ya'll there Thank you all again, E