Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

244J Drive Issues

PeteG · 2021-03-28 17:38

Hi, We have a 2005 Deere 244J serial number 711681. For around a year it’s stuttered when driving, but was never really bad until recently. I put a new filter, as well as the seal kit for the filter housing, as it seems as if the pump is cavitating, with no luck. The oil is definitely foamed after running for a while as well. Once the machine warms up it gets better, but still isn’t great. Filled with all new Hydrau as well, so I’m leaning towards the pump but not sure. I think I need to check pressures to be sure, and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a gauge setup to test this. Any help appreciated, this has got me stumped. Thank you.

Replies16
  1. #1lantraxco2021-03-28 22:33

    I believe the filter is return only. Looks like the hydrostat pump has it's own charge pump, check the suction line(s) from the hyd tank to the main pump, and the gear pump. Loose clamps if it's the clamp style can do it, also inspect the suction lines anywhere it looks like they may be rubbing on anything, they can wear a spot through where it will suck air and oddly enough not leak out oil sometimes.

  2. #2mg23612021-03-29 05:05

    Welcome to HEF PeteG ! If after checking everything lantraxco mentions is OK, then the most likely source of your air may be the fan pump seal (pump mounted to the engine) allowing engine crankcase pressure into the hydraulic oil. And yes the seal could fail in a way that crankcase pressure gets into the hydraulic oil and no hydraulic oil gets into the engine.

  3. #3PeteG2021-03-29 18:54

    Ok so all hoses looked to be tight and not rubbing on anything. This led me to check the fan pump seal as suggested, and on Deere’s website I’m simply seeing a sealant as the gasket that is between the fan pump and the engine. Just wanted to make sure this is was correct before taking it off. It looks ok from the outside but that could be deceiving. Thank you again!

  4. #4John C.2021-03-29 19:00

    There will be some kind of shaft seal installed to keep hydraulic oil from going into the engine oil and maybe in this case, the other way around.

  5. #5PeteG2021-03-29 19:11

    Ok. So I believe I will need the gasket kit for the fan’s pump. Thank you for clarifying that

  6. #6lantraxco2021-03-29 23:32

    They don't show a breakdown, but thank God they do supply a seal kit for that pump. Not always but typically in a both sides wet mount like this, as John C. suggested, they will have two shaft seals facing opposite directions with the outer one facing out.

  7. #7mg23612021-03-30 04:48

    Correct. Deere's part number is PM37512. You can get it cheaper elsewhere however.

  8. #8PeteG2021-03-30 20:11

    Great thank you everyone! Got the seal kit ordered and should have it by the end of the week. Will update with results.

  9. #9Shane Thomas Weleske2021-04-15 12:47

    Did that hydraulic fan pump seal kit fix your problem? I am having a foaming of the hydraulic oil problem on my 244j. I had a service tech from our Deere dealer here to look at it and he wants to pull the main hydraulic pump and I do not think that is the problem more like a air issue as the pumps sound normal and all functions work as they should. thanks

  10. #10heymccall2021-04-15 12:57

    This thread is relevant, albeit unresolved. HeavyEquipmentForums

  11. #11PeteG2021-04-15 18:32

    Sorry for the delay, got busy at work and project got pushed back. Just got the seal kit on, and the drive is much much better. Solved the foaming problem. The only thing now is there seems to be air in the lines for the loader boom. So I think we’ll crack a few lines tomorrow and try to bleed all the air out of the system.

  12. #12Shane Thomas Weleske2021-04-15 19:08

    Good to hear your foaming quit. I am going to try that pump seal kit on my 244j to see if it stops the foaming. I have has no real issues other than the foaming and coming out the top of the hydraulic tank cap. when you put the kit in your fan cooling pump did you loose alot of oil when you took the lines off? Did have to drain the hydraulic tank down? Was it much of a job to put the shaft seals on? thanks

  13. #13PeteG2021-04-15 20:39

    Just plug or cap the lines and it shouldn’t lose too much oil. Other than that the seals were fairly straight forward as well.

  14. #14Shane Thomas Weleske2021-04-16 13:19

    I went to our Deere dealer hear (RDO) and order the kit for the pump. They had no breakdown picture of the pump so he did not know what came in the kit. He said they call it a gasket kit? Is that what they called it when you got it as there was no mention of shaft seals he said. I hope the seals are in this kit as they are pretty proud of it at $365.00 plus shipping. Also was there a gasket to mount it back to the engine or do you just use a sealer like the Loctite pictured here? thanks

  15. #15PeteG2021-04-16 21:31

    Yes it was called a gasket kit on Deere’s website as well. And the loctite sealer is used when you mount it back to the engine, no actual gasket available for that.

  16. #16Shane Thomas Weleske2021-04-22 18:37

    Thanks to everybody who replied to this post and the help from PeteG. I installed the fan pump gasket kit on my 244J loader and the foaming of the hydraulic oil is fixed. I am sure glad I did not take the dealers advice and haul it them to rebuild the main hydraulic pump like they said had to be done. Again thanks to all!