Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

246B Caterpillar Wont Shut off

gokeeper ยท 2011-04-01 09:48

Well went out last week Machine started all winter in below 0 weather, 1st day its above 60 and it just clicks. So I charge the battery, starts the next day just fine. Week later and it doesn't even light up the panel when you turn the key on. I swap the battery for a know good battery and notice the light inside come on and the alarms, Wife is helping so didn't pay much attention but thinking back now they key was off. She starts the machine starts just fine. I use it for what i need to, go to shut it off and nothing, turning they key doesn't shut it off. At this point it starts pooing rain, a little panicked I look around and can not see any way to kill it so i pulled the battery cable. Now I believe the problem is in the key switch the one problem i have is I cant seam to figure out how to dissemble the instrument panel to get the switch out. Has anyone done this before? There is a parts diagram below that isn't much help.

Replies6
  1. #1gokeeper2011-04-01 12:07

    I believe the 3 screw must come out highlighted below however they are in a horrible location to get to.

  2. #2gokeeper2011-04-04 08:30

    Well after many hours of frustration, I managed to pull the key switch and found nothing wrong with it. Even with the switch disconnected the panels and alarms still have power, I was thinking it must be a stuck relay somewhere does anyone have any ideas?

  3. #3rare ss2011-04-05 08:32

    have you checked all your fuses?.. sounds like the fuel shutoff soleniod or the wiring around there maybe.. i'd be looking towards that, see if you can get switch in the power down there generally speakng if i'm looking for a problem hydraulic or electric i'll start at one end of the circuit and work back from there and cover all your bases as you go if you dive in and check this or that you might fix it sometimes quickley, but on some problems you can end up chasing your tail and missing basic things

  4. #4bill onthehill2011-04-05 17:36

    I would look for a power on relay that is stuck. Most times the key switch activates this and sends power to the other functions like safety switches etc.

  5. #5gokeeper2011-04-11 12:00

    I found that Main Power relay A was energized. Traced this problem to Fuse Block 1. The Fuse block is bad and I have on on order should be in tomorrow.

  6. #6Muhammad2011-04-11 12:23

    Hi; I am brand new to this forum and would like some help with 2 Cat-226Bs. I bought them used and not running. I got one started up and replaced a 3 hoses that were busted. Filled it with hydro fluid and thing fires up right away. However, the its does not move or work any of the hydrolics. I have done as much I know so now I am now looking for a mechanic. I called my local cat dealer and his prices are a bit out of my range. Can anyone here help a newbee. Both units are in Chicago--close to the midway airport. Thanks