Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

248B oil leak in A\C gear motor-can I just bypass the motor?

Todd99 ยท 2021-06-22 20:55

I have a hydraulic oil leak from the breather vent on the air conditioning support on my 248B skid steer. I loose about a gallon of oil a day out of this vent. The vent is mounted on a support with the a\c compressor on one side and a gear motor on the other side(part 218-6840). I am guessing the seal of the gear motor is gone and filling the support until it over flows out the vent on top. Is it possible to somehow bypass this motor?. I have never used the a\c and I don't remember it ever working in the last 10 years. The leak is new. The motor I would like to just eliminate rather than replace has 3 hydraulic lines(3rd is case drain?) and is hard to reach-very bottom of the machine. I am not sure if this would be easy to bypass this whole motor or would I have to spend the money to replace it even though I never use it...and it is an expensive part. Thank you Todd

Replies3
  1. #1heymccall2021-06-22 21:33

    The seal is $16.22 I suppose you could just loop the hoses together, since the solenoid is in the gear motor. Perhaps someone else will chime in?

  2. #2heymccall2021-06-22 21:45

    RENR8749 schematic only shows two hoses. One from pump and other is out to hyd cooler fan. Disconnecting both hoses from AC gear motor and connecting them together "should" work.

  3. #3Todd992021-06-24 16:18

    Thank you very much for your reply. I have the two lines you mention on each side of the gear motor. I then have a small hydraulic line coming off opposite from the solenoid. I am not sure what it is for...I can only follow it for it a bit as it goes under the air condition support. If I feel under the support the line has a connection it of some sort under there but I can reach farther to tell where it goes-I am not sure if it even goes any further. I can see it now on a parts diagram but it looks like it runs underneath these pieces maybe and goes to the compressor possibly. I will order that seal you found for me and give that a try first -thank you again. Todd