Does anyone know if they make anything to convert a 24V cigarette lighter to 12V? Our Komatsu PC120-6 cigarette lighter is 24V and I would like to use my Sirius satellite radio in it. Thanks
Maybe make one yourself with a 12 voltage regulator like used on motorcycles and snowmobiles. Cost about $12. ???? I am curious also if there is actuallly one out there for sale.
You can buy converters at most NAPA stores. You will have to wire in a cigarrete light connection and ground. Good Luck
Radio shack sells a 24 to 12volt voltage drop. Used one on my old JD 792 excavator. My cat has one that came in the machine to power the stereo does your machine have a radio? If so check the voltage you may already have one.
I use my Sirius sat radio on a 24v plug all the time. I have a sportster 5 and it has been working for a few months. One of our other operators has had his plugged in for over a year on 24v with no problems.
24V to 12V Converter: Check the specs. on your Sirius satellite radio... it might be able to use 24 volts. I know all my GPS receivers will. OCR...
I have the Stratus radio. I just checked Sirius web site and both our radios have the same specs. This is what I found. Radio Power Requirements: 4.9 – 5.6 Volts, Negative Ground, DC Cigarette Lighter Adapter Power Requirements: 9 –16 Volts, Negative Ground, DC
That's what mine says too, but Alex (burnout) said his worked fine on a 24v connection and he's got the same as me!
They all have warranty for a reason...... the plug is just a converter anyways. I found that after a few days of the radio being on non stop (24hr shifts) the plug got warm but thats about it.
I just bought a really simple voltage converter on ebay for $25 to run the radio in my ex
i tried mine in the schools cat 320 D it worked fine in the 24v
Anyone know if the cigarette lighters on Deere 310SGs are 12 or 24V I had it plug in there and it was fine. I think I will try it on the Komatsu, but if it fries it that will be the last time I listen to you guys
if it gives the amperage requirements I can tell you what resistor you need to wire in paralell with the power (center pin) on the cig adapter.
All John Deere backhoes only run 12V systems, no 24v in the machine.
Most cab accessories run 12V, but you ought to check with a voltmeter first. If it's 24V, you can purchase an invertor from Radio Shack fairly cheaply. The ones from Cat are expensive, but they last a lot longer.
I put the Sirius in the Komatsu the other day and it was on for a couple of hours, and so far to good. So I think I should be good to go. Thanks for all the help and hopefully I have the same luck as everyone else that has tried it and it doesn’t end up cooking itself.
I know it sounds a little crazy,but we had an old Case Excavator that was 24 volt. The operator kept adding 12V light bulbs to the pos side wire (before the radio) to make the 12V radio work. It was years back,but I think he might of had 3-12V lights attached to the wire. Seemed like the 3rd one took care of any power surges in the system. Now they order radio/CD players and converter boxes (for the 2 way radios) in everything over 12 Volt.
If you run a wire to the positive post on the last battery in the series and one to the ground you will get 12 volts, if you go to the first battery you will get 24 volts. On my Komatsu PC200 LC6 (1998) it is 24 volt and the cigarette light puts out 12 volt, not sure why so you might want to put a volt meter to check the voltage, just a thought.
I strongly recommend not trying this. I know first hand that it will cause one battery to overcharge and one will be undercharged. A power converter would be way cheaper than a set of batteries.
i fried my xm in my hyundai 210-7 last summer, didn't even bother to look and see if it was 24v...just assumed cab accs. were 12.
:yup been there, done that, got the T shirt and two new batteries :Banghead
We have hooked CB's and or Radios up to one battery before with no problems. I wouldn't hook lights or any heavy amp draw I could see this could cause some issues. I can't see how 3 amps from one battery, could throw off the impedance of two lets say 700 amp batteries wired in series being feed by a 24 volt supply, maybe we have just gotten lucky. If you guys have had battery troubles then Canadian_digger then I wouldn't follow my advice, I would hate to tell you something that would cause your machine damage. I was just relating some of my experiences.
dayexco. How long did you have it hooked up before it cooked your xm? Are the xm radios the same as Sirius?
it was seconds...and whether they're like sirius, i dunno
I depends on the unit. Nowadays both use the same voltage. Around 5 Volts, wich is reduced in the cig lighter adapter. The older Sirius Sportster & Sportster Replay are 12 Volt. If you all have the newer one, & blew it out, you may have only torched the cig adapter. There is also a fuse in the center pin in the adapter too. I will share my opinion on using 1 of 2 batteries in series. Car Audio competitors have been have been doin it for years with 12 & 6 volt batteries wired in series to give 16 volts for amps & only using the 12V battery for the deck. It really depends how the charging system is set up. If it is 12 volt each battery gets the same amount of voltage, what it does with it is something totally different. As a battery gets older its ESR rating goes up. 2 batteries WILL NOT age the same, even if used in the same vehicle wired in the same circut. With 2 batteries charged 12V even wired in series, each battery can power different cicuts, with different load, & not need any kind of isolation. They will only take the amount of charge they are capable of (12.6 or so). a battery is made of 6, 2.2 volt cells. on a 24 volt charging system, if one battery has a problem it will be transmitted to the second. I.E. if one will no longer charge to 12.6, & only takes 10 (for example only) you will no longer have 24 at the end, reguardless of vehicle charging capacity, you now only have a max of 22 for starting. With that said, you can power seperate load off of each battery, but with greater loads off of one, it will age quicker, than the other giving us the afore mentioned condition. Getting back to using a 12V device on a 24V systen. you can either do the math on how much amperage you are going to draw, & the voltage drop needed & use a 1/2 watt resistor, or just get a reostat (variable resistor...like the dimmer switch on your truck dash), wire it up in series with the device, & meter it while you turn it up, & BAM you got audio on your radio. I would not do this with a high amperage device, because the reostat will get hot with more amperage, but for the 500Ma (1/2 amp) most sat. rad. takes, you will be fine. Most battery problems are caused by bad/ poor grounds, but that is another topic.
I did exactly that with a CD/radio player, proper job, sleeved cabling, proper routing, in-line fuse, full works, was really chuffed until the machine failed to start one morning about 2yrs old. I got the machine jump started pretty easy but why did it die? Phoned the Atlas top man in UK and ran through all the possibilities and what to check as at 2yrs old I was not best impressed as I am sure you can imagine. Somewhere in the conversation I mentioned upgrading the radio and how I had changed it so that I didnt need the ignition on to listen to the radio. DOH! :ban I was gobsmacked to learn that the system would not be able to work out the additional draw on the one battery. Whether I actually could have got away with not replacing the batteries is up for discussion but I could not take the risk of the machine not starting.
You'll know so quick its not even worth wondering about. Put a 12v bulb in a 24v holder by mistake and you get a clue as to just how quick. Yes.............experience........... :Banghead